Chapter XVIII: Similar

Author POV:

The imam, King Omer, Queen Layla, General Zaheer and all the people witnessing the nikah were sitting and waiting for the bride's arrival in the main courtroom.

It had been a long time. King Omer whispered near her wife's ear, who was sitting beside him. "Where is she?".

"I am not aware".

"You didn't check on her?".

"N.. No".

"Go now and see where she and the maids are and... Be quick".

The queen got up from her seat and walked out of the courtroom. She took fast and heavy footsteps. The hallway was silent. It didn't seem as if Rabia was coming to the venue.

Suddenly she heard running footsteps approaching. They were the maids. They stopped in front of the queen. They were shivering with fear. They were tensed.

"Wh.. What happened?". The queen said in a worried tone.

"She is gone, your highness".

"Gone? What do you mean gone?".

"When we dressed her, she told us to leave her for a moment. We did and stood behind her room door. We stood for a while but she didn't come out for long. We barged open the door and.... She was gone!".

The queen lost her balance and was about to fall until the maids caught her by her shoulder.

" Whh.... At should I do? ". The queen blabbered to herself.

Layla gathered her courage and stood on her feet. She couldn't do anything, she had to tell Omer.

But before telling her husband, she took a step of her own, without anyone's consult. She told one of the maids,

" One of you, write a letter to Zayn and send it through the royal postman right now. Zayn must still be on his way to the town. Don't let anyone know about this, even His Highness. Tell him everything about the marriage and her Rabia's disappearance".

"The others, follow me". The queen said while turning back towards the courtroom.

She opened the door of the courtroom and walked inside breathing heavily. She kept her hands in front of her in a respectful position and attitude and spoke while looking down at the ground,

"I have an announcement to make, please listen to it clearly".

All the people witnessing the nikah, stood from their seats. The court was filled with silence. Everyone was eager to listen to her including King Omer.

"The nikah, can't take place today or ever anymore. I am sorry everyone for disrupting your precious time. Please don't take it as a disrespect. I have no good reason to disrespect anyone of you present here in the premises nor can I say the reason for the nikah not taking place".

All the people were in whispers. King Omer also had a shocked face. He walked towards his wife and spoke in low tone,

"What are you saying? Are you in your sense?".

"I will tell you everything in detail later. Let the people disperse from the palace".

Zaheer looked down at his feet. He knew this was about to happen. He knew she would have never accepted him as she loved someone else. He didn't feel sad or angry, but felt relieved. Though he liked Rabia, but it was just a general crush.

.............

After a long time of waiting, King Omer finally spoke to Layla.

"Now tell me".