28) Bunker Nine (Book One Finale)

full a/n at the end! The slow burn finally picks up (you're welcome, but don't thank me-i'll get you guys back later ;)

^^^

By the time the questions were over, Ada was planning to knock out.

After a million questions answered and their story told, Chiron saw how tired they were and ordered them to bed.

She opened the door to the Nike cabin, which was completely bare. There was a mattress in a corner and a blanket, like someone planned to live here temporarily.

She felt pretty alone. No cabin mates. But she supposed that also meant peace and quiet.
As Ada hit the mattress, she sighed. It felt nice to sleep on an actual mattress, and Ada decided she'd decorate the cabin as soon as possible.

When she woke up, she didn't know where she was until she saw the horribly empty cabin, then realized she was at camp.

The sun came through the windows along with a pleasant breeze. It might've been spring instead of winter. Birds sang. Monsters howled in the woods. Breakfast smells wafted from the dining pavilion-bacon, pancakes, and all sorts of wonderful things. She felt like her stomach had struck to the size of a peanut despite Leo's magical bag.

She changed into the provided new camp half blood shirt and settled for the shorts, then went outside. Her cabin had no toothbrushes or toothpaste, not even a hairbrush. She walked up to the pavilion and grabbed a plate.

Right. God offerings.

"Hey mom." Ada murmured. "I sorta lost your gift. Sorry." She shoved a pile of bacon into the fire. Protein was sure to make Nike happy, right?

She looked around. All the cabin had their own pavilion tables. She saw Jason sitting alone, picking at his scrambled eggs mindlessly. He had a lot on his mind.

Then she turned. The athena cabin was bustling with people, but Ada spotted Annabeth, and they smiled at eachother.

The Hephaestus cabin had lit a meal on fire, but Ada had a suspicion who the culprit was.

Then, spontaneously, the Aphrodite campers cheered so loudly, they must've been heard all across camp. They herded Piper out of the cabin, raised her on their shoulders, and carried her all the way to the dining pavilion.

Ada took down three plates of food before she was full, and then knocked out again in her cabin.

Then a knock on the door took her out of her stupor.

"Hullo?" Ada had no peephole to look through.

"It's me, Miss Lee." Chirons voice spoke. "You've been called to the Big House."

^^^

he only computer at camp was in Chiron's office, and the whole room was shielded in bronze plating.

"Demigods and technology don't mix," Chiron explained. "Phone calls, texting, even browsing the Internet-all these things can attract monsters. Why, just this fall at a school in Cincinnati, we had to rescue a young hero who Googled the gorgons and got a little more than he bargained for, but never mind that. Here at camp, you're protected. Still ... we try to be cautious. You'll only be able to talk for a few minutes."

"Wow." Ada breathed. "Thanks, Chiron."

He smiled and wheeled himself out of the office. Ada hesitated before clicking the call button. Chiron's office had a cluttered, cozy feel. One wall was covered with T-shirts from different conventions-party ponies '09 vegas, party ponies '10 honolulu, et cetera. Ada didn't know who the Party Ponies were, but judging from the stains, scorch marks, and weapon holes in the T-shirts, they must've had some pretty wild meetings. On the shelf over Chiron's desk sat an old-fashioned boom box with cassette tapes labeled "Dean Martin" and "Frank Sinatra" and "Greatest Hits of the 40s." Chiron was so old, Ada wondered if that meant 1940s, 1840s, or maybe just A.D. 40.