08 - Goodbyes

The city was left empty. No inhabitants could be seen in the streets of King's Landing. After King Aerys' last royal decree, all civilians were escorted out by the Kingsguard. Some were reluctant to leave their homes, but panic ensued when it was declared that the city was officially under siege and surrounded by rebels. The entire city would soon become a battleground. The civilians decided to pack their belongings and leave, favoring the life of a refugee over becoming innocent casualties caught in the bloody battle.

The people were taken underground to the tunnels used only by Targaryen royals. None of the commoners knew these tunnels existed beneath the city they had lived in all this time. Along with the tunnels, there was something more ominous: barrels of wildfire at every corner. The people shuddered at the thought of what might have happened if they had stayed. Rumors were already spreading that the Mad King planned to burn the entire city. However, the captains of the Kingsguard explained that it was the King's strategy to apprehend the rebels. Few of the commoners knew that escorting them out of the city had never been part of the original plan. When the royal decree was issued that Princess Rhaenys was to be wed to her uncle, the Second Prince Viserys, the people knew it had been the compassionate princess who had negotiated with the Mad King, allowing them to escape to Dorne.

Every time the princess's entourage passed by a commoner, each one would bow with great reverence. Rhaenys frowned, disliking how they treated her like a saintess. But what bothered her more was the icy cold shoulder her mother gave her. Looking to her side, she watched as the furious, silent woman ignored her presence, staring at the people building their temporary tents.

They had completely trekked the underground tunnels, which led to the forest outside the city, as the enemy armies were on the opposite side, trying to breach the city gates. They were still not out of danger. The situation was tense, and Rhaenys couldn't help but feel anxious, worried about what might happen if they were discovered. She yearned for her mother's comfort, but her mother refused to even look at her.

The young girl slowly approached her mother and held her sleeve. "Mother, please, don't be angry—"

Princess Elia sighed, glancing up but refusing to meet her daughter's eyes to soften her resolve. "What use is it to be angry? You have already stormed through the Red Keep to meet the King and threatened him with your own life when I specifically told you to stay hidden with your brother. I clearly have no say over your actions."

"If you are angry, just yell or punish me. There is no need to frown," the young princess said, acting coquettishly in front of her mother. "Don't frown anymore, Mother. Frowning gives you wrinkles."

Elia gently pushed her daughter's hands away. "Do not start with me, Rhaenys. How could you act so recklessly? Did it occur to you that you might have died? What would I even say to your father? How would I explain what happened when he comes back?"

"Why don't you leave it up to our daughter to explain to me?" a familiar voice interjected.

Both Elia and Rhaenys turned to see a battle-torn royal knight entering their tent. As soon as Rhaenys recognized her father's figure, she ran and threw herself into his arms. "Papa!"

Rhaegar smiled as he held his daughter, gently pinching her button nose while checking for wounds or burns. "Ouch! Papa, don't pinch—"

"I have been hearing rumors that my daughter has turned into a dragon, but I only see a spoiled little princess," he teased. Rhaenys smiled impishly but frowned upon noticing the bloody strip of cotton wrapped around her father's shoulder. She gestured to be put down and pushed him to the nearest chair.

"You're hurt. Behave and sit still while I look for a healer," the young princess declared. Rhaegar and Elia shared amused, understanding glances as they watched their daughter scold him. "Everyone claims you are one of the strongest knights in Westeros, but obviously not the smartest. You should know better than to carry heavy things when you are injured, Papa!"