Getting there

** Lyam**

I let out a little 'eep' when I see someone leaning against the wall next to my bike. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you."

As if Carter doesn't get my heart racing enough when he's not scaring me. "No worries. Something I can help you with?"

"Was hoping you'd have time to chat. Don't forget to lock up." Crap, I almost did. Sort of messed up my routine, what with the almost having a heart attack thing. I turn to do that and then walk towards him. I mean my bike. Yeah, I'm walking towards my bike. Totally. "So, Deputy McCorkle?" he asks.

Talk about an open ended question. "Yeah, never minded being called Bailey before but now that he's in charge, I guess it makes sense. I wonder if he's related to the old Sheriff. I think he was a McCorkle. I heard that the mayor fired him as soon as she was elected. That's when Sheriff Brian started. I think he was retired from Portland or something and was only supposed to fill in until they found someone but... here we are. I've only been here five years though, almost anyone else would know more."

"I like hearing it from you, thanks. He seems a bit.. uh, no, it's nothing. It's not like anything ever happens around here, right?"

"It's not Chicago, that's for sure. Sometimes folks steal gas, for the boats. There's some dumping, trash and stuff that's expensive to get rid of on the island. And tourist stuff, you know? Pickpockets and stuff. Nothing super major, I don't think. Last year the ladies auxiliary put together an anti-litter campaign and got real serious. They had t-shirts made and were everywhere and let me tell you, they were a force. Sheriff Brian had to be downtown so they didn't harass tourists."

He shakes his head in wonderment then nods, looking relieved. "Good. And yeah, not like Chicago at all. Look, can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah, sure." I probably wouldn't have said yes if I'd known what was coming but that would have been sad for my nonexistent sex life.

"Still wanna hook up? You've been on my mind non-stop and maybe working out some frustration would help, if you catch my drift." I'm not hesitating, just speechless, but I'm pretty sure he's taking that as a bad sign. "No pressure, just asking. I'll get out of your hair."

He turns but I manage to make enough saliva to wet my mouth and find my balls so I can be honest. "No, I'm... I'm definitely interested. And I did offer..."

"Not holding you to that, Lyam."

I figure that he's gonna be gone sooner rather than later and that limits my chances of falling head over heels in like with this guy. More than I already am, I mean. Helping me out with McCorkle's name earlier? That was clutch. He honestly hasn't seemed phased by my dyslexia and he's not treating me like a moron, which is nice. I've literally had people talk slowly to me. I mean, that says more about them than me, right? Still, everyone has sore spots and it's a big one for me. Him just going with it? Ace. I give him a look that hopefully says 'interested and sexy' and not 'stroke'. "You can hold it to me, or hold me, or whatever." Damn it, I tried.

"Is that a yes and if so, when? I know you're obviously getting off work now so there's no major rush since I don't plan on having kids."

It takes me a second but I assume he's feeling at least half as hard up as I am. It doesn't take long, being on this island. I make a split-second decision and decide that if we don't have full on lube required sex and just do hand and blow jobs, I won't get attached. Right? Right. And if I won't get attached, we could do it more than once. "I'll be at Wisteria tomorrow morning working."

"I doubt I'll die before then.

There will be a smutty scene here in the Amazon version.  Sorry!!  It's not written yet :)