#4.5 - a child's whisper (1)

[ shadow extraction complete! ]

[ Here's the list of skills you've acquired during the extraction:

Active Skills:
[Thunder strike (A)]
[Paralyzing Claws (B)]
[Immobilizing Gaze (A)]

Passive skills:
[Agility Boost (C)]

[ All statuses have been updated! ]
⟨HP↑/MP↑/STR↑/AGI↑/INT↑⟩

Oh, so I can also gain skills by absorbing shadows. That's a sweet surprise! I thought it could only increase my stats, but I can gain skills from it too.

"Oh, almost forgot. The leader of the pact." I gaze at the dead body of the thunder wolf leader. I'll reserve it for a specific skill I want to test out.

(Lord Aric POV)

The wind brushes the tree leaves calmly, nothing seems suspicious yet. But I made a promise to the king to bring proof that the shadow monarch has returned. I'm sure of it.

I gathered my team to search for the source of this dark aura, and it's been the hot gossip/news spreading across the kingdom. The king's right-hand man took care of the news to prevent it from spreading among the people, as it might lead to panic.

"So um... Lord Aric, what exactly are we looking for?" A nonchalant voice reaches Aric's ears, and doesn't seem to know what they're after.

This is Gale, one of the best swordsmen on my team. People call him the ⟨Lightning Saber⟩, a title he acquired after learning a technique passed down through generations in his family. His speed is unseeable, his movements are like a bolt of lightning, easily fooling anyone into thinking he's using teleportation.

"Ugh... We're searching for the source of the dark aura that I suspect is coming from the mythical creature that burned countless cities in the imperial era." I answered, adding some information for them. Gale might be powerful, but honestly, I'm deeply disappointed in his intellect.

"Oh! Y-you mean that shadow monarch thingy?" Elana asked, stuttering a bit because of her shy and introverted character.

This is Elana. She's a magic nerd and simply good at it. Though she lacks confidence, she's a strong mage I've known for a very long time. We're childhood best friends, after all.

"Buwahahaha!! You think it's from the shadow monarch? Huh, that thing has been perished by our great holy warrior!" Paul said proudly, his heavy armor clanking as he walks. I don't know much about his background, but he's half human and half dwarf.

"Yeah, we know." Gale said.

"Y-yeah! E-everyone knows about it." Elana added.

I don't know why, but the forest is the same as before. I don't feel any dark auras around. Maybe the king is right. The shadow monarch hasn't returned... yet?

"Shh!" I hushed them.

They halted as I scanned the surroundings. The air felt thick and heavy, almost suffocating. I'm sure I heard something. Like a crying child, it's barely audible because of these thick trees. But... a child inside the forest? It's impossible. The guards on the castle walls are on duty. Could it be a child...? No, it's impossible for a child to get out.

"Uhh... Lord Aric? Is something wrong?" Elana asked, gripping her staff firmly.

"I thought I heard something. It's like crying, but I can't hear it clearly."

"Are you sure? Maybe it's just a monster you've heard—!!" Elana jolted, along with Paul and Gale, as the crying echoed again. The sound seemed to come from deep within the forest, a chilling whisper carried on the breeze.

(Meanwhile)

(Notice): Would you like to use [arise (??)] + [shadows (??)] on the thunder wolf's corpse?

[Yes] [No]

"Yes!"

Please choose a specific type of servant:

soldier⟩: 1,000 mana
Commander⟩: 10,000 mana
General⟩: 15,000 mana

Hmm... I'd really love to spend 15,000 mana for a general. But, just like the description says, "only humanoid or a monster with a rank of 'S' can become a general."

This monster is rank "A," I mean, it's the closest to rank "S," but I guess it can't be a general because only humanoids or rank "S" monsters can become one.  But, what about a commander instead? I mean, a commander doesn't have a specific target or form.

"Alright! Commander then!"

The corpse flinched unexpectedly, startling me a bit. Then, a shadow started to come out from its body, like it was trapped and trying to free itself. Then, a big cluster of shadows came out and formed into a wolf, leaping out from the corpse.

Name: (Nameless)
Age: —
LV: 40
Titles: Commander, Shadow Wolf
Threat rank: A→S

HP: 70,000/70,000
MP: 30,000/30,000
STR: 12,000
AGI: 35,000
INT: 100

Active skills:
[Thunderous Roar (B)] [Shadow Walk (A)] [After Image (S)] [Corrupted Bite (S)] [Agility Boost (C)] [Night Vision (C)] [Intimidation (A)] [Telepathy (F)]

Unique skills: (None)

Passive skills:
[Physical ATK Ineffectiveness (A)] [Razor Claws (B)] [Shadow Blend (B)]

"What the hell!?" This guy is stronger than me! You gotta be kidding me! But, its intelligence and agility are the same as mine. But this guy's got some of the coolest skills ever!

Oh! Look at it, it's wiggling its tail! Uh... "Hello?"... Do I really expect that it will answer back? It's a dog, it can't speak—!!

"Hello, master!"

"W-what the freak!? You-you can talk!?" I shouted. Ohh... I didn't expect that.

"I'm not exactly speaking, master. I'm using telepathy because I cannot form words using my mouth." It explained. Ohhh... I see. But hell nah! It got the most desirable skill of mine; I really want that skill!

"Ahem! So, um... It's my first time having a dog, so I—?" I paused when my dog suddenly looked away and looked like it was sniffing something. I mean, if it's hungry, we could just hunt a horned rabbit. I don't know much about dogs though.

"Master, I smell something."

"Huh? Smell what?"

"Apologies, master, but I cannot determine if it's a monster... or a child."

"Wait what!?"

— to be continued —