Chapter 7 - Kate's Date (part 1)

Kate was thinking what to wear.  She was in her underwear and had 3 different outfits laid out on the bed.

First she tried her three-quarter length cotton trousers and white v-neck blouse.

She held them up against her in front of the mirror and pivoted side to side at the hips.

She carefully put them back on the bed and surveyed the other two.

" Hmm, red trouser suit, or black mini-dress?" She wispered to herself.   She was still deliberating when her mobile bleeped. A text message.

She darted over to the dressing table and scooped up her mobile in both hands, studying the words.

“YES” she shouted.  She punched the air and danced around in circles holding the phone in front of her.  “Yes, yes, yes”.

She couldn’t believe, or understand, why she was so excited.  She hadn’t felt like this since she was fourteen.  She hung the black mini-dress on the door handle, put the others back in the wardrobe and went back to applying her make-up, but she couldn’t stop smiling.

Bang, bang! There was a rap on the front door. Kate rushed to the window to see who it was, and saw the familiar face.

She ran to the door still in her underwear and threw the door open with her arms wide open.

“Aunty Maria”.

“Katy, Katy, Katy, my little Katy”.

They threw their arms around one another and did a little jig in excitement.

“Not so little any more I see” Said Maria, who was shorter than Kate.

“Let’s get you inside my girl, before we have all the men in village lined up to look at you”.

They both went inside and Kate shut the door and immediately threw her right arm around her only Aunt’s shoulder, as they walked up the hall.

“It’s so good to see you Aunty Maria.  It’s been nearly 3 years.”

“And you have blossomed into a beautiful young woman.  It doesn’t seem five minutes ago since you were that young Tom-boy, running around playing with all the boys.”

“I still do", said Kate, with that cheeky grin on her face.

“I bet you do, but not this holiday young madam.  You mother has told me I have to keep an eye on you” warned Maria, only half joking and wagging a finger.

"Aunty, I’m nearly 20 years old", said Kate laughing.

"Exactly!", said Maria, nodding her head, wisely. " Can I put these in your kitchen?"

“Yes of course, what is it”?

“Oh nothing exciting.  Just a few things that I thought you may need.  You know, toilet roll, fresh milk, bread, orange juice, butter, oil, ham, and some of our favourite local wine, and....well, a load of other stuff to keep you going”.

“Oh thanks, I’ll just get you some money.  How much was it?”.

“Don’t you dare young lady!  Anyway, we would like you come over and have lunch with us tomorrow.  Jake and Samantha are dying to see you; they have been so excited for days”.

“Oh, Aunty, I’d really love to, but I’m afraid I have something on tomorrow afternoon”.

“What already. Oh, dear.  Well, never mind", said Maria disappointedly," maybe Saturday then, if you’re free”.

“But can I come earlier tomorrow, and then if I leave by 2:00 I can do both.  I can’t wait to see my little cousins too”.

“Fantastic” said Maria.  “Now, let’s have a coffee and you can tell me all about life in Ireland.  Have you eaten yet by the way, and go and put something on and make yourself decent, all the blinds are open you know.  I’ll make us something to eat.  It’s so great to see you again Kate.  I still can’t believe it. Our little Katy”.

“Oh, I can tell you’re my Mum’s sister” said Kate, heading for the bedroom, laughing.

She looked at her watch on the dressing table and, although she was was really pleased to see Maria, she wonder if she would still have time slip out later.  She hoped so.