Chapter 4: In The Absence Of Light

☽  A S A   R A V E N  ☾
--------------------------------------------

The clock on the wall ticked ominously as I paced my office. The dim light cast shadows across the room, emphasizing the darkness that seemed to seep into every corner of my mind. I had barely slept since the phone call. The name "Celeste Raven" echoed in my head like a haunting melody, impossible to shake.

I wanted to believe—no, I needed to believe—that Celeste wasn't my little sister. It was absurd, unthinkable. My bastard of a father couldn't have secretly named his daughter after a random name he had asked me to choose in a moment of sadistic cruelty. He couldn't have never bothered to tell me about her, leaving her to fend for herself with someone my father would deem acceptable. For my sanity, I needed to believe this was just a coincidence. But deep down, I knew it wasn't. The odds were too slim, the connection too real.

I threw clothes into a duffel bag, my scarred hands moved with a controlled determination. I couldn't stand the thought of my father's twisted games continuing to haunt me, even after all these years. The thought of Celeste, a sweet little girl who could have possibly lived through the same kind of hell I had escaped, made my blood boil.

The only reason Cameron knew anything about this "Celeste" girl was because I had pulled a DNA sample from myself and had Cameron send it to Oregon.

Cameron knocked on the doorframe, his expression somber. "Boss, are you sure about this? It's a long way to Oregon, and you don't know what you're walking into."

I shot him a glare. "Did I ask for your fucking opinion? I don't have a choice, Cameron. If there's even a chance that she's my sister, I have to know. I have to make sure this kid is safe."

If she even is my sister, I have to make sure she doesn't end up like me, dull, hateful and miserable.

He nodded in understanding. "I've got everything arranged. You can head out as soon as you're ready."

"Good," I muttered, zipping up the duffel bag with more force than necessary. "I just want this shit over with."

As I loaded the car, Cameron, annoying as ever, still lingered, looking concerned. "You sure you don't want backup? It could be a lot to handle on your own."

I shook my head. "I need to do this alone. And Cameron, if you value your life, you won't breathe a word about this "Celeste" girl to anyone else. Not until I say it's okay. Understood?"

Cameron met my gaze, his expression serious. "Understood, Boss."

The drive was long and tense, the silence heavy with unspoken thoughts. My mind raced, bouncing between memories of my childhood and the potential reality that awaited me in Oregon. Each mile felt like a step closer to a truth I wasn't sure I wanted to face.

I grabbed the ends of my hair tightly, gripping the steering wheel tighter, my knuckles turning white.

-
Finally, I arrived at the Oregon police station at 5:30 am. The building loomed ahead, and I'd definitely be lying if I said I wasn't hesitating to go in.

Eventually though, I walked in, the cold air inside the station hitting me like a wave. My steps echoed in the hallway as I stood there, not really knowing who to talk to. I glanced around, feeling out of place and awkward, when suddenly a blonde-haired man approached me, extending his hand for a handshake.

"Hello, I'm Officer Maddox, but you can call me Jamie. Mr. Raven, right?"

This was the man I'd spoken with over the phone, this was also the same man who just had to call and fuck up everything for me.