Chapter 5: "Let loose"

/AMELIA AND PETER/

Amelia walked through the campus hallways, her thoughts in a tangle of assignments and almost due projects. The late afternoon sun streamed through the windows, casting a warm glow over the worn linoleum floors. As she rounded a corner, she froze at the sight before her.

It was Carter and he was leaning in close to a visibly upset girl. Amelia recognized the girl from around campus, she was in her course, but her name escaped her. She caught the end of their conversation as Carter hissed, "Just don't tell my girlfriend, okay? What we did was a mistake."

Amelia's blood boiled. She had known Carter to be a liar, but seeing this side of him so blatantly was too much. Without thinking, she stepped forward.

"She doesn't have to keep your dirty secrets, Carter," Amelia snapped, her voice cutting through the tension.

Carter turned, his eyes narrowing when he saw her. "Stay out of this, Amelia. This has nothing to do with you."

"It has everything to do with me when I see you manipulating other people," Amelia shot back. "You can't keep treating women like they're disposable."

Carter's face twisted with anger. "You always have to play the hero, don't you? News flash, Amelia: you're no saint. In fact, you're just a slut who couldn't keep a boyfriend, any at all for that matter so don't act all high and mighty."

The words stung. They hit her like a physical blow. For a moment, she was too stunned to respond. The irony of his accusation, given that she was still a virgin, made the insult even more cutting. She felt a surge of anger that she couldn't contain.

"You don't get to call me that," She spat, her voice shaking. "I'm not the one cheating and lying."

Carter sneered, about to hurl another insult when a voice interrupted them. "Is there an issue here? Just leave her alone, man."

Amelia turned to see Peter, and great timing she thought. His presence was calm but commanding, and his eyes were fixed on Carter.

Carter scoffed. "Peter, who are you her new protector? Didn't know that you were getting comfy with soneone like Peter Lee, Amelia. The schools notorious playboy and a whore. Hmm, you too seem perfect for eachother."

Peter didn't flinch. "I'm just someone who knows when to step in. Walk away, Carter."

For a moment, it looked like Carter might push further, but then he seemed to think better of it. With one last glare at Amelia, but then he scoffed, shaking his head. "Whatever. She's not worth the trouble." With that, he turned and stormed off, leaving the hallway eerily quiet.

Amelia let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. She turned to Peter, gratitude and something else she couldn't quite name swirling in her chest. "Thank you," She said, her voice softer now. "I really appreciate it."

Peter nodded, a small smile playing on his lips. "Anytime. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Thank you again," She said softly.

Peter gave her a gentle smile. "Like I said anytime."

Amelia nodded, then, almost impulsively, she added, "Y'know..about that offer you made the other day..."

Peter raised an eyebrow. "The one about doing it?"

"Yeah, didn't have to be so bold about about it though, gosh what if someone heard you?" Amelia replied with a tsk, speaking once more with a determined look in her eyes. "Anyways yeah that one.. think I'm ready to take you up on it."

Peter's surprise was evident, but he nodded, respecting her choice. "Alright, And if anyone wants to hear me let them sunshine. I don't really care." He said, his voice gentle. "But I'm free, whenever you're ready."