Chapter 9

Despite the fact that the lights were out the Legion of Stationery still hoped that someone would be inside. However the hope was fading as they continued to stand out in the night waiting for someone to answer.

"Maybe we should wait until morning." Jean half sighed.

Rubber Band rang the bell again, ignoring what Colored Pencils was trying to tell her. None of the other Legion members said anything to Jean or Rubber. Rubber tapped her foot impatiently as still there was no answer.

"Maybe we should come back later," she mumbled under her breath.

"Ya think?" Tape rolled his eyes.

With no other choice they decided to leave and wait until tomorrow, but just as they were about to leave a car pulled up several feet away, a few people got out.

"It's just some kid," one of them said to another. "This is private property so we're going to need you six to leave."

"Do you live here?" Hole Punch asked. "Or know who works here."

"This place has been closed for over a year, the owner is in jail, why would you need to speak to any of them?"

"It's about some experiment," Rubber said, "We didn't know that the owner was in jail, or that it was closed down."

"What's the experiment?" One of them sighed. "We might be able to help you find someone who knows about it."

"Thank you," Jean said. "We just want to know about an experiment that failed."

"One that failed?"

Jean nodded. "It had stationery items and was probably with people's souls, I think." he turned to Scissors. "Does that sound right?"

She nodded, "There were six people involved in total," she added.

"We want to know what happened to them," Rubber finished. While the Legion did think those six people were their past self there was a chance they weren't, so it was better to ask where they were now to determain it.

"Are you talking about the experiment that was all over the news?"

"Like I said earlier, we're not from here. We don't know anything about it."

"If you're talking about Project Stationery, an experiment that was trying to mix people with objects, it involved six kids and some stationery items, the kids were killed in this experiment and we've been trying to find the objects for over a year now."

Tape went white. "Youse said da kids died?"

"Yes, that's how it became a failed experiment and also how the owner was sent to jail."

"This might sound crazy," Hole Punch started. "But we're the stationery items from the experiment."

They started laughing, "that funny, is that why you're here to make a joke, the objects were sent to another dimension to test something else, or possibly just destroyed. No one has found them or even figured out how to get there, or if they can be given back."

"We're not lying," Jean said. "It's fine if you don't believe us, we already got the answer we needed, we just need one more thing."

"Which is?"

"We would like to talk to the family of the kids."

"We're not giving you their address, or phone, we can't, it's a joke too far. Those poor families have gone through enough. They don't need some people pretending to be their dead kids."

"But-" Jean started.

"Jean, leave it, we'll just go." Stapler interrupted him.

The group that had pulled up looked over at each other, "what you're full name Jean."