Crime and Punishment

Hello, I'm back. 

0o0o0

Two weeks with twin newborns flew by. Elliot tried to take the brunt of the cries at night so Liv could rest. He sometimes got no sleep for two days because the girls wanted so much attention. He was happy to give them all the love and attention they wanted, but he also wanted to sleep. Kathy actually forced Elliot to go take a nap on the sofa while she fed the girls their bottles once evening when she dropped off the boys. She'd been so helpful to them lately. 

Liv actually wanted to do something to thank her for everything she's done to help them out, but she was lost at what it could be. A simple thank you didn't seem like enough. Although for the time being, that was what she did. Kathy brought up a tray of snacks for Liv so she didn't have to fight to get up and down the stairs. 

"Kathy, I want to thank you for everything you've done lately." Liv took an apple and rolled it between her hands. 

Kathy smiled and shrugged. "We share a family, Liv. Elliot made sure of that. Just because it didn't work out between Elliot and I doesn't mean I have to turn into a bitter woman about the fact that my husband fell in love with another woman."

Cragen didn't allow Liv to come back after her two months of maternity leave. She was still having some trouble walking. She argued that she could do desk duty for another few weeks, but Cragen refused. "Liv, you need to bond with your girls. We'll be okay for another month until the doctors allow you to come back."

Elliot smiled as he saw her pouting as Cragen told her to go back home. She ended up throwing her half eaten apple at him and hitting him in the groin. Fin and Munch started laughing heartily as Elliot collapsed on the floor in pain. Satisfied with her choice, she waved at everyone and went back home to her girls. 

"Elliot," Cragen called after Liv left. 

He stood back up with a groan. "Yeah."

Cragen looked at Fin and Much still laughing with a curious stare, but didn't ask. "Get over to Central Park, a young woman was found with sexual intentions."

When Elliot got to the crime scene, the girl was wrapped in a blanket by the ambulance. She tightened the blanket as Elliot approached. "Hi, my name's Elliot, I'm with Special Victims Unit. What happened?"

"I'm not sure. I was out last night with some friends then I woke up this morning on the grass and I didn't have on any bottoms." She looked confused. 

"Where were you and your friends?" Elliot asked, getting out his notepad. 

She thought for a second. "My friend Sarah's house. Her boyfriend and his buddies stopped by and hung out. One of them brought some beer and I said no. So did Sarah's boyfriend, but we had some punch made. We sorta had a movie night. One of his friends must have spiked it because that's the last thing I remember."

She looked over at the crowd and a look of relief ran across her face. "That's Sarah with her boyfriend."

Elliot looked where the girl was pointing. Dickie and his girlfriend. "Copeland!" A young officer in uniform came over. "This is Officer Copeland. He's going to take the rest of your statement. I'll be back in a while." 

Dickie and Sarah moved over to a more secluded area. "Dickie," Elliot greeted dryly. 

"Mr. Stabler." Sarah smiled nervously. 

"I heard you all had a fun night last night." Elliot looked from Sarah to Dickie. Dickie looked at his feet, not responding to his father. Sarah was the one that explained. 

"Yeah, Bryson Kemp had his brother buy some beer and spiked our punch. I've already told Dickie that he's not allowed over at my house again and that Bryson is a loser." Sarah looked disapprovingly at Dickie. 

Elliot nodded. "Did you all have a lot to drink?" He was trying to remember if his son had come home last night. He'd been so tired after working a longer shift and then coming home to feed the girls before crashing around 3 in the morning. 

Dickie shuffled his feet. "I remember having around three cups while watching some movies with them. Then waking up on her sofa by her mother, worried about me. She already busted Sarah and the others passed out in various places in the house except Nadine. We were worried about her until Sarah heard there was a rape in Central Park." 

"And you worried that it was Nadine," Elliot finished, looking over to Nadine. She was crying now. "Sarah, go to her," Elliot told the young girl, lifting the tape for her. Sarah ducked and ran over to Nadine who opened her blanket enough for Elliot to catch a glimpse of the bruises on her thighs. 

Dickie turned away as soon as he caught the slightest glimpse. Elliot placed a hand on his shoulder and lead him further away from the crowd. "I'm disappointed in you, Dickie. However, I'm not mad. It wasn't your fault. I don't want you talking to Bryson anymore, though."

"Don't worry, I already told him off and that was the last straw for me. He's started doing bad things that I don't want to follow me for the rest of my life. I won't be able to live with myself if I was the cause of something terrible." Dickie glanced over at Nadine who was still talking to Copeland, but seemed much calmer now that Sarah was there. 

Elliot was glad that she had someone. "What's her family life like?"

Dickie shrugged. "Dad's a mystery. Mom's on drugs. She spends most of her days over at Sarah's house."

"If her mom's on drugs, then why hasn't CPS gotten involved?"

"Every time someone calls them and they show up, her mother cleans up enough for them to approve of things. She has a house, clean clothes, running water, food in the fridge. There's worse kids off that need their help. Younger kids." Dickie sighed and rubbed his eyes. 

Elliot watched a pained expression fall over his son's face. "Go home, get some rest."

Dickie shook his head. "No, where Sarah goes, I'm going. Nadine won't tell you anything without Sarah around and Sarah will need support. That's where I come in."

Where did his little boy go? Suddenly Elliot seemed to be looking at a young man instead of an irresponsible boy that ditched school with his friend to try to take money from his emergency credit card and join the military. Elliot cleared his throat and swallowed a small lump. "Okay, then. Let's get Nadine to the hospital."

00o0o0