weary bones caught the chill

"Good morning cami," Zak said with a smile on his face

"Morning Zak,"

"Hoping for a win today,"

"Arent we all, let's hope they perform well,"

"I noticed Lando calling you Cami, I hope you don't mind,"

"I don't mind at all,"

Flashback

As I stood in the peaceful school garden, surrounded by vibrant flowers and their enchanting beauty, a sudden commotion shattered the tranquility. Four boys were engaged in an argument about who was superior. As they settled down next to me while I sketched delicate blossoms in my notebook, Max glanced at my drawing and bestowed upon it an approving smile.

"Cami," he exclaimed with admiration, "that is truly beautiful."

"Maxie stop calling me that,"

"I don't know Ivy, I think Lando is onto something. We call you cami and he can call you Mila in private,"

Although I had a strong dislike for nicknames, there was little I could do to change the situation. So, reluctantly, I accepted it and observed as they frolicked around the garden while I diligently completed my sketch. It wasn't exactly how I envisioned spending my time; however, having my friends by my side brought a sense of joy to me.

In that moment, it felt like an unspoken bond existed between us—a connection so profound that wherever life took me, they would inevitably follow! How mistaken was this assumption of mine? Because boy was I wrong!

End of flashback

now I'm standing in a McLaren Formula One garage, my heart raced with anticipation as I awaited the commencement of the race by one of my dearest friends. Nervously noticing my sweaty palms, I hastily scanned the surroundings before wiping them on my jeans.

Feeling a sudden thirst creeping in, I made a swift exit from the paddock in search of water. Just as I took that refreshing sip and attempted to calm myself down, an electrifying sound filled the air—the roaring engines signaling that action had begun without me. With a sense of urgency fueling me forward, I dashed back into the garage donning headphones and fixing my gaze upon screens displaying every thrilling moment unfolding on track.

••••••••••••••

"Charles taking p2,"

Filled with joy and excitement, I hurried over to the podium where my friend stood beaming with pride at his well-deserved placement. As he basked in the glory of his achievement, adorned by a crown symbolizing victory, our eyes met and he greeted me with a wave.

Beside him stood Max, radiating happiness as well. My grin widened even further as I reciprocated their waves enthusiastically. Witnessing my two young friends excel filled me with immense pride; their success brought an indelible smile to my face.

As they wrapped up their celebrations and prepared to depart, I caught up with Max, "congratulations you two I'm so proud of you guys," I smile and drag them into a warm hug. However, this heartwarming moment emerged Lando and Pierre approaching us from afar.

Lando's lackluster remark, " wow, yay they won and we didn't! How fun, let's celebrate," about not winning contrasted sharply against the backdrop of celebration—a stark reminder that not everyone shares in the same spirit of supportiveness or enthusiasm for others' accomplishments.

"Anyway ima go back to the hotel, ivy do you need a ride," asked lando

"Yea,"

The car ride was quiet, and I found myself gazing out the window, pretending to be engrossed in everything passing by. In truth, I was trying to avoid engaging in conversation with him.

"Charles did good," Lando remarked. "Yes, he did," I replied.

"I mean you've never been that happy before but all of a sudden," Lando continued. Before he could say more, I interrupted with a nervous giggle and firmly stated my stance: "No, we are not doing this again. I will not be caught between your issues with Charles anymore. All you two ever did was put me in the middle and no; no because I choose none."

I emphasized that lando should refrain from meddling in my friendship with Charles just as much as Charles should do the same for us; it's ultimately up to me who gets close because no one dictates that except for me.