"Chapter sixteen: Unexpected Encounter"

After a serene visit to Stell's hometown, the group decided to unwind at a cozy restaurant in the city. The atmosphere was relaxed, with soft music playing in the background and warm lighting casting a comfortable glow over the tables.

As they settled in, ordering drinks and sharing stories from their trip, Stell couldn't shake off a subtle unease that had settled in his chest. His thoughts wandered back to his ex, Eric, whom he hadn't seen or thought about in years. Despite the passage of time, memories of their relationship flooded back, stirring a mix of emotions within him.

"Hey, Stell, are you okay?" Ken's voice broke through his reverie, concern etched on his face as he noticed Stell's distant expression.

Stell blinked, refocusing on the present moment. "Yeah, I'm okay," he replied with a faint smile, trying to push aside the sudden rush of emotions. "Just reminiscing about old times."

Ken nodded understandingly, reaching out to gently squeeze Stell's hand under the table, offering silent reassurance.

As the evening progressed, laughter and lively conversation filled the air. Stell found himself relaxing, enjoying the company of his friends and the comforting presence of Ken by his side. However, just as they were finishing their meal, Stell's heart skipped a beat when he noticed a familiar face across the room.

There, standing near the entrance, was Eric. His ex-boyfriend looked just as Stell remembered—tall, with a disarming smile that once made Stell's heart flutter. For a moment, time seemed to stand still as their eyes met across the crowded restaurant.

Stell felt a mixture of surprise and apprehension as Eric started walking towards their table. Ken noticed the change in Stell's demeanor and placed a supportive hand on his shoulder.

"Stell..." Eric's voice was hesitant yet filled with a hint of nostalgia as he approached. "It's been a long time."

Stell swallowed nervously, unsure of how to respond. "Yeah, it has," he managed to say, his voice a bit strained.

Ken spoke up, his tone polite yet firm. "Hi, I'm Ken," he introduced himself, extending a hand to Eric. "Stell's friend."

Eric nodded, shaking Ken's hand briefly. "Nice to meet you, Ken," he said, before turning his attention back to Stell. "Can we talk for a moment?"

Stell glanced at Ken, silently seeking reassurance. Ken gave him a nod, a silent encouragement to go ahead. With a deep breath, Stell stood up, following Eric to a quieter corner of the restaurant.

They stood facing each other, awkwardness hanging in the air as memories of their past relationship flickered between them like shadows.

"I didn't expect to see you here," Eric started, his voice tinged with regret.

Stell nodded slowly, unsure of what to say. "Yeah... me neither."

Eric sighed softly, running a hand through his hair. "Look, Stell, I know things ended badly between us," he began, his expression earnest. "I've had a lot of time to think, and I just wanted to say... I'm sorry. For everything."

Stell felt a pang in his chest, emotions swirling inside him. He had spent years trying to move on from the hurt of their breakup, and now Eric's apology brought back a rush of memories and unresolved feelings.

"I appreciate that," Stell replied quietly, his voice barely above a whisper. "But... things are different now."

Eric nodded, his gaze dropping briefly before meeting Stell's eyes again. "I can see that," he murmured. "You seem... happy."

Stell glanced back towards their table, where Ken and their friends were chatting and laughing. A small smile touched his lips as he looked back at Eric. "Yeah, I am."

They stood in silence for a moment, the weight of their shared history hanging between them.

"I should get back," Stell finally said, breaking the quiet tension. "We're... celebrating."

Eric nodded, a hint of sadness in his eyes. "Of course. I didn't mean to intrude."

"It's okay," Stell assured him softly. "Take care of yourself, Eric."

With a nod, Eric turned and walked away, leaving Stell standing there, emotions churning inside him.

Back at the table, Ken stood up as Stell approached. He placed a hand on Stell's shoulder, silently offering comfort as they rejoined their friends.

"Everything okay?" Josh asked quietly, concern etched on his face.

Stell managed a nod, offering a small smile. "Yeah," he replied, glancing at Ken gratefully. "Yeah, everything's okay."

As they continued their evening, laughter and warmth filled the air once more, the support of his friends and Ken's unwavering presence easing the lingering ache in Stell's heart.