Chapter 5: An Unexpected Moment

The following week was packed with missions and training sessions, but the air between Kotetsu and Barnaby had lightened. They worked seamlessly together, the tension from their earlier misunderstanding gradually fading. Kotetsu had made a conscious effort to respect Barnaby's boundaries, and Barnaby, in turn, seemed to open up more.

One evening, after a particularly exhausting mission, the duo found themselves back at Hero TV headquarters. They had just finished their debriefing and were heading towards the locker room to change out of their suits.

Kotetsu, as usual, was recounting their mission in an animated fashion, his hands gesticulating wildly as he walked. Barnaby listened with a small smile, appreciating his partner's enthusiasm despite his own fatigue.

"—and then, just as I thought we were done for, you came in with that perfect shot! Seriously, Bunny, you were amazing!" Kotetsu said, not realizing he'd slipped back into using the forbidden nickname.

Barnaby opened his mouth to correct him but was interrupted when Kotetsu, walking backward to face him, slipped on a banana peel someone had carelessly left on the floor. With a yelp, Kotetsu lost his balance and fell forward, colliding directly with Barnaby.

Before either of them could react, Kotetsu's lips accidentally pressed against Barnaby's in a brief, unintentional kiss. Time seemed to freeze for a moment as their eyes widened in mutual shock.

Kotetsu quickly pushed himself off, his face turning crimson. "I-I'm so sorry, Barnaby! I didn't mean to—"

Barnaby, equally flustered, took a step back, his cheeks tinged with pink. "It's... it's fine. It was an accident."

The awkward silence that followed was thick enough to cut with a knife. Kotetsu nervously rubbed the back of his neck, his mind racing for a way to defuse the situation.

"Uh, are you okay? I didn't hurt you, did I?" Kotetsu asked, his concern genuine.

Barnaby shook his head, still looking a bit dazed. "No, I'm fine. Just... surprised."

Kotetsu let out a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding. "Yeah, me too. Let's just... pretend that didn't happen, okay?"

Barnaby nodded, though his expression was hard to read. "Agreed. Let's get changed and head home."

As they changed in the locker room, the silence between them was heavy with unspoken thoughts. Kotetsu couldn't stop replaying the accidental kiss in his mind, his heart pounding in his chest. He glanced at Barnaby, who seemed equally preoccupied.

Once they were both dressed in their civilian clothes, they headed out of the building together. The night air was cool, a welcome contrast to the tension still lingering between them.

"Hey, Barnaby," Kotetsu said hesitantly as they reached the parking lot. "About what happened back there... I really am sorry."

Barnaby looked at him, his expression softening. "I know, Kotetsu. It was just an accident. Let's not dwell on it."

Kotetsu nodded, though he couldn't shake the feeling that something had changed between them. As they parted ways, he found himself hoping that this unexpected moment might be the start of something new.

As he walked home, Kotetsu's mind was a whirlwind of emotions. He knew he had to find a way to talk to Barnaby about his feelings, but the fear of ruining their partnership still loomed large. For now, he would take things one step at a time, hoping that their bond would only grow stronger with each passing day.