Chapter 8

Bella soon ran away to play with my brothers and I quietly walked to the study where I knew Aunt Lisa would be. It was her shelter.

The office was painted grey and was very small. There was a library at the right close to the window, and a small table opposite the door where Aunt Lisa kept her computer, laptop and books. The room was always cold as she never put off the AC.

She was taking a drink when I walked in. I needed that too, the drink.

Someone called her just then and she picked the call not sparing me a glance. She spoke quietly to the person almost in a hushed whisper. I didn't hear what she was saying, but I had the feeling that she was speaking to her husband.

I sat on the rug and waited for her to finish the call. It would have been rude to interrupt.

"Bella said he touched her too." I blurted out. I repeated it saying each word slowly so she could hear it clearly_so she could absorb it. Which I'm sure she did, she heard me but she didn't react. It was as though I suddenly became invisible even though I was right in front of her.

"Food will soon be ready." She replied. "Go take your bath". This time she could not hide her disgust, I could hear it in her voice. I was very observant. Only one question kept repeating in my mind. Was that disgust in her voice because of me, was it?

I couldn't ask her, I would only ponder on it till the pain became bearable.

"OK" I said, walking out more confused than upset. Why didn't she say anything? I kept wondering. Her daughter was being abused and she says nothing!

She did not believe me right, that disgust, she thought I wanted to set him up. I was nobody she should not listen to me because I was nothing just a poor nobody. I am not worth anything. I guess that's what her husband told her. I guess he asked her why she would hit Kabir because of me.

I was walking alone in the garden talking to myself. I needed to let the feelings out as I couldn't take it anymore. My feelings were venomous and I was scared that if I didn't let them out that they could kill me.

'One day, I swore blinking back tears, they will be no where compared to me. One day they will see themselves as the nobody. One day they will be nobody and I swear I will make them feel just as inferior as I feel now. I mumbled, sniffing back tears.

I started taking in long deep breaths while repeating to myself that I couldn't let this weigh me down because I was stronger than they thought.

I heard footsteps behind me. I quickly wiped my tears and put on that fake plastic smile I had mastered over the years, thanks to my father.

"Mira aunt says you should come to the dining. Breakfast is ready." Sid said running towards me, he looked a bit worried.

His thin legs that were exposed under his shorts made me grin and I grinned even wider so he didn't have to worry about me. He looked just like me; fair, thin, with brown eyes and a long face only that I had longer hair.

I took his hands and we both walked to the garden. The house was a beautifully built bungalow. The parlor was demarcated by two stairs. It was above the stairs that they set the dining room.

The diner was in the other part of the parlour, very large and black. With fake flowers in vases and fake fruits in a bowl for decoration. I sunk into one of the chairs and my legs didn't touch the ground because the chair was a little too big for me.

Kabir was sitting on the dining too. I wanted to leave but I thought against it. Aunt Lisa might not like it, and even though I was going to one day be richer, my mum for now needed her friendship and I didn't want to be the one to scatter it.

I ignored Ken as there was nothing else I could do. I knew I couldn't confront him. I won't know what to say, I wasn't brave enough yet.

They were all excuses though_ so many excuses, but I consoled myself with the thought that, He would one day get punished adequately by me in the future.

'That shouldn't be a problem should it?' I thought I was smirking. He had no idea what was coming for him. I would make him pay. It was a promise I made to myself. 'I will make them pay.'

Ken looked at me for what seemed like a second and averted his gaze while Anita served the meal of pancake and custard.

I was trying to adjust to my seat when I heard Vid speak. I immediately stopped moving, everyone remained still just like I did.

"What happened in the morning?" Vid asked me, innocently. He thought he whispered and no one heard him but it was no whisper.

"I don't know. You can ask Kabir maybe." I replied quietly. Kabir was sitting opposite me, I was sitting in between Vid and Bella, and Sid sat close to Kabir

Aunt Lisa was at the far end of the diner looking very distracted and angry.

I wanted to stop calling her aunty, she didn't deserve it.

But funny enough, my real Aunt was not exactly perfect, she disrespected my mom at any opportunity she got. I didn't blame her though she did it because my dad let her.

So I didn't even know which was worse. I wished that my mum wasn't an only child and an orphan but there was nothing I could do about it.

Vid didn't ask Kabir. He didn't say another word. The pancake was good but I was too hurt to actually enjoy it.

Breakfast was eaten in silence.

After a long eventful day, and by eventful I mean me avoiding everyone including my brothers I felt a little better.

That night I held on to Bella like she was my guardian Angel. We clung to each other.

I eventually slept in the early morning after much turning and thinking.

I didn't feel any hands on me. I made sure of this by locking Bella's room door firmly.

The damage to my heart had already been done anyway, and I knew deep down that I would never remain the same again.