real life sux, doesn't it?

"You're bullshitting me right now. Tell me exactly  where this all came from."

"Why do you care so much?" Jeremy whined. He was enamored with the pile of money in front of them. It promised luxury, rent, food, and, of course, real fun times. "Maybe the company felt bad for being fucking assholes and decided to compensate for it."

"God, think of what we could do with this!" Katie laughed, falling backward onto the carpet at the mere ideas of what could happen. She grabbed a few bills as she laid back, throwing them into the air so they scattered around the five of them. "We could have a party!"

"Down by the complex, out back in the car park!" Josh agreed, flicking his cigarette over to her. Katie's fingers wrapped around it easily, toxic green nails glowing against the dull light. The smoke fell around them all throughout the flat. It didn't bother anyone.

"Everyone, just wait. Where and how did you get this?" Brett asked again, refusing to even glance toward it all before knowing the truth.

"I'm not a liar," Corrinne smirked, holding her own cigarette between blood red nails. "I grabbed the cash out of the register and walked right out the fucking front door."

***

THREE DAYS AGO The sinks were overflowing with piles of dishes, and, somehow, the dirtied containers also made their way onto the floor and the surrounding counters. Stained cutting boards topped with (very dull) knives were hanging half off the table, and most of the customers waiting up front hadn't even ordered yet (they had been there for over twenty minutes).

Corrinne had just walked in, and just like every day at her work, she wanted to walk right back out. But truthfully, she just wasn't that type of person (she didn't think she was, at least). As she was tying her apron tight around her waist, her manager hurried into the back kitchen, rushing carefully through the contaminated area, trying desperately to not trip over the loose dishes and rubbish that hadn't made it into the bin. He forced a half smile as he pushed by her, then stopped and looked back, watching her carefully.

He actually saw her this time. 

"Corrine," he sighed in relief, proudly showing off his brown teeth. Corrinne had to take a step back (or two or three) when his breath hit her face. It smelled of cold caffeine and old nicotine.

Honestly, she didn't mind the smell. It was nearly permanently in the walls and rugs of her apartment. Besides, everyone enjoys a cigarette here and there. Who was she to judge?

But really.

Did he have to smoke while at work?

"Thanks again for staying late yesterday, we had an emergency at home," he shook his head, turning away once more to head to the already overcrowded sink. The plates he held clattered dangerously against the pile, threatening to fall at the slightest breeze. "I don't know what I would have done without you."

Corrinne shrugged, preferring not to remember the eleven-hour shift she was basically forced to pull yesterday. She had to cancel plans with her friends—Katie desperately wanted to go to the theatre, and the discounts they got was always worth it—but Andy was in desperate need of help. And Corrinne really did need the money. "No problem. The extra coin will be nice, anyway. Pay and a half, right?" she smiled, beginning to sort through the dishes so she could fill up the sink.

"Oh, well, not exactly," Andy chuckled, stopping in the doorway to the front in order to talk to her. "You know how strict corporate can be."

Corrinne turned sharply, wiping her hands of the rotten food on her apron. She stepped away from the sinking, walking up to Andy as he continued to smile pitifully at her. "What do you mean?" she asked quietly.