61 - Such Scandal

~~~

~~~

Volume VII

Adamus

"It was your child, son."

My heart stopped, I felt like I'd been smacked by a whip of fire, my skin coming to a boil, my throat tightening and restricting my breathing.

"M- my child..?"

The King nodded, and Sheera whimpered a sob.
I fell into the seat behind me, rubbing my forehead in stress.

"I was concerned that she would be with child..." I muttered. "I never would've considered this happening."

"I'm sorry," Sheera sobbed. "I didn't know I swear,"

"Please don't be sorry," I frowned. "I'm not upset with you."

Her face crumpled and she held her head in her hands. I was really feeling the shame come over me at the moment, not to mention a feeling of complete and utter defeat. I never thought I'd have children of my own, I didn't consider myself lucky enough to, but to find out you have a child on the way- only to find out they just died in the womb, it was a grief I'd never known until now.

I leaned forwards into my lap, holding my head and trying to restrict my tears. I wanted to comfort her, tell her it would be okay, but knowing she's my sister is what's stopping me. It feels inappropriate, immoral. Yet I love her with all my heart, she's family, she's blood. Perhaps God has taken this child to himself early, to spare it the miserable life it would've surely had, having parents who were siblings.

"Sheera," The King spoke weakly. I lifted my head enough to see her falling unconscious. The King and I looked to Leonard in desperation.

"She's dehydrated and weak, she may be falling in and out of consciousness for a day or so."

I huffed weakly, using every inch of my being to restrict my tears. The King noticed my struggle and pressed his lips together sadly. I could see it through the bandages, the frown on his lips.

"I- I have no words, I cannot even comprehend this news I-"

"It's alright," he interrupted softly. "You do not need to say anything. Just mourn."

At his word, like he'd commanded it I felt the tears burst out, pouring down my face in rapid succession. I leaned forwards to rest my face in my hands, meanwhile the King stood up and walked towards Leonard.

"They were in a relationship before they were told that they were siblings," the King said quietly. "Of course it came to a stop upon hearing the news."

"I see." The doctor said sadly. "What a tragedy this is. A woman's body can prove a hostile place to grow sometimes. And we can never know why."

I felt more tears flow, uncontrollably to say the least. Just minutes ago I was pouring out my heart to the princess, now I found myself literally pouring out my tears. Will my life ever slow? Has God only made me for struggle?