Chapter 17- A Stirring of Shadows

As I drove home from the studio, my mind was filled with a whirlwind of emotions. The time spent with Ben had stirred up old memories and unresolved feelings, but my heart remained steadfast in my love for Lana. The thought of seeing her and the kids brought a sense of calm and clarity. I couldn't help but wonder how Lana would react to our encounter, but I don't think I am going to tell her..Pulling into the driveway, I noticed the soft glow of lights from inside the house. As I walked through the front door, the sound of laughter and playful chatter greeted me. I followed the joyful noise to the living room, where I found Lana and the kids engaged in an intense game of charades.

Lana was mimicking some kind of animal, her movements exaggerated and comical, causing the kids to erupt in giggles.

Jack was trying to guess, while Max and Cy were rolling on the floor with laughter. The sight warmed my heart and brought a smile to my face.

"Mom's home!" Cy shouted, noticing me first.

Lana turned to look at me, her face lighting up with a radiant smile. "Hey, love! How was your day?"

"It was good," I replied, walking over to her. "Looks like you guys are having a blast."

"We are," she said, still smiling. "But now that you're here, it just got better."

I couldn't resist the pull any longer. I moved closer, wrapping my arms around her waist. "I've missed you," ! whispered, leaning in to kiss her.

She responded immediately, her lips meeting mine in a soft, tender kiss. The kids watched for a moment, then went back to their game, giving us a bit of privacy. Lana's arms wrapped around my neck, and she deepened the kiss, her fingers threading through my hair.

The warmth and familiarity of her touch melted away the tension from the day.

"I love you," I murmured against her lips.

"I love you too," she replied, her voice filled with emotion.

We stood there for a few moments, holding each other close, our kisses growing more passionate. It was a reminder of everything we had built together and the love that anchored us through any storm.

Eventually, we pulled apart slightly, resting our foreheads together. "You're my home, Lana," I said softly.

"And you're mine," she replied, her eyes shining with love.

The kids finished their game and came over to join us, wrapping their arms around us in a group hug. "We missed you, Mom," Jack said, looking up at me with a smile.

"I missed you too, all of you," I said, ruffling his hair.

As we stood there in the warm embrace of our family, I took a deep breath, ready to share the news of our dinner plans. "Hey, everyone, I have an announcement."

The kids looked up at me, their faces full of curiosity. Lana raised an eyebrow, sensing something was up.

"We're going out to dinner tonight," I said, trying to sound enthusiastic. "With Ben."

The kids' faces lit up with excitement. "Really? Can we go to that Italian place again?" Jack asked, bouncing on his toes.

"Yeah, can we, Mom?" Max chimed in, eyes wide with anticipation.

"Sure, why not," I replied, smiling at their eagerness.

The kids didn't need any more encouragement. They ran off to their rooms to change into their favorite outfits, their laughter echoing through the house.

Once the kids were out of earshot, Lana turned to me, her expression a mix of confusion and annoyance. "Why, Jenn?" she asked, her voice edged with frustration. "I don't want to go."