Extra Curriculars

After PE, Tyrone and I head straight to Mr. Williams' office. He's not present at first, so Tyrone and I sit down and start filling in my paper ahead of time. 

"So... have you decided whether or not you're going to join the martial arts and self-defense club?" Tyrone asks me.

"Uhm yeah, definitely. I don't want to be stabbed." I tell him. 

It's true. I'm even more afraid now then I used to be because of what happened to Tyrone.

Tyrone seems either happy or relieved by my answer, but he doesn't say anything and just glances down at my paper, a pen in his hand because he knows what he's doing and I absolutely do not.

But then, Mr. William's arrives.

"Khai, nice to see you. What brings you here?" Mr. Williams' gaze shifts to Tyrone. "Oh, you're here too."

He walks over to his desk and sits down.

Today, I'm the one disturbed by Mr. Williams instead of the other way around. 

I glance at Tyrone, but it seems like he hasn't heard the vast difference between the way Mr. Williams greeted me versus the way he greeted him. 

Either that, or he chose to ignore it.

I wish I could be on that level of indifference. But I can't because I'm an overly emotional little dude.

"Uhm... I'm here to sign up for the extra-curriculars." I reply.

Mr. Williams looks at me for a few seconds before turning his attention to Tyrone.

"And him?"

"He's helping me."

Mr. Williams gives me a disbelieving stare, which upsets me for some reason. But he'd never be able to tell from looking at me because I have excellent composure at times, and I can occasionally keep all of my angry little feelings inside. 

When I have them, that is.

Tyrone seems unbothered, and for someone who is easily triggered, that's unusual. 

I am questioning.

Or am I being unreasonable? Why am I the only one bothered?

Tyrone looks up when he notices me studying him. I feel confused, because he seems to be aware of everything that's been going on. 

He also seems curious, but I give him a dismissive gesture, not wanting to talk about Mr. Williams in front of... well, Mr. Williams.

"There's some community hour opportunities coming up. You should both think about attaining some."

Now Tyrone seems a little defensive.

"How many do I need? Isn't it 40? Because if it is, I've exceeded that by 60 already."

"Tyrone, the 100 hours of community service you had after being arrested doesn't count towards your school records. It's separate from that."

I'm sorry, what?

Tyrone's been arrested?

I glance at him, mildly concerned.

Tyrone just shrugs, returning to his calm state, as if to say, "Fair point."

Mr. Williams is the only one who notices my surprise.

"That's right, Khai. You should be more careful of who you choose to be friends with."

Tyrone straightens now, and his face holds a scrutinizing expression towards Mr. Williams.

"Seriously?" He asks.