Chapter 4 - My Life

Venice’s POV

I hurriedly jogged and swiftly opened my four-wall apartment, closing it behind me.

Leaning against the closed door, panting, I took a deep breath and let it out forcefully. What did I just do? I must be crazy; there is no way this is happening!

I facepalmed. Was it the alcohol? Last night was clearly a mistake. The pain made me lose control of myself. That was the first time I got so drunk. I even went to the club dressed like a hooker, danced with strangers, and kissed someone. And on top of that, it was a girl!

I shook my head, not believing the situation I was in. My family would murder me if they knew what happened. Growing up in a town full of conservative Catholics, I never experienced or tried these things.

I walked to my bed and crashed onto its soft mattress. I stared at the ceiling. From what I have known throughout our relationship, Zedrick and I never kissed. Maybe it was because I was still bound by my family’s reminders. They taught me that kissing and making love were only for married couples. I, being the naive kid that I was, believed it.

And look what it made my relationship into—a mess. Five years of my life wasted just because the man wanted to have sex. Why did he do that?! I shut my eyes in anger and tried to calm down.

Why did he hurt me like this? He could have said something nice before he left. He could have... What’s the point of this? He already left me hanging; he already said those awful words to me. Apologizing will never work for me anymore. Those words will forever haunt me. A tear fell down my right cheek.

I didn’t want to cry, but my heart felt so heavy. I grasped my left side where my heart is and closed my eyes. The heaviness was overwhelming. I broke into a sob. I quietly cried—it was my first breakup.

I thought if I experienced this, I would just cry to my heart’s content and be okay tomorrow. However, I did not know that this would be a process where everything takes time. It really takes a wounded heart time to heal.

I cried and cried. My heart felt like it was shattering into pieces. I did not like this feeling. I felt incomplete, like something was missing. I did not want to feel this way. Please, someone... make the pain go away.

I stopped crying when my alarm went off. I stood up, numb from the pain, and went to the right side of my bed where my table was. On top of it was my cellphone. I picked it up and turned off the alarm.

I sighed. It’s already seven in the morning—time to go to morning classes and get to work for intramurals. Even though I am introverted, I am grateful for the opportunity to be elected as the student council president at our university.

My schedule became hectic because of that. The Student Council is the apex body of all student organizations, and we are tasked with organizing all activities for our upcoming intramurals.

I sighed again. Even though I want to take a leave and just rot in bed, I can’t. I have so much work to do. Even though I feel like I’m walking on a thread, I still need to go.

I took a shower and brushed my teeth. After that, I looked at myself in the mirror and at the makeup kit I bought online. Maybe it’s time for a change? But when I remembered what happened last night, I shook my head. Forget it. I walked out of the bathroom.

I immediately dressed myself. My apartment is just a typical four-wall room. My bed, closet, and study table are all in one place; it’s also my living room. Back then, this used to be a gloomy, colorless area. My family was even against me moving in here, saying it looked creepy and I would probably be in danger from spirits.

I shook my head, but now it looks like just any apartment a student could live in. A few white paints and some designing did the trick. I bought pink LED lights and some posters from my favorite bands, gluing them on the wall for aesthetics. It also has a window in front of me. But don’t worry, I’m on the third floor of this building, and next to this big structure is a park. Even though I walk around here naked, no one could see me but the trees.

I put on my usual blue pants and an oversized white sweater. I looked at myself in my full-length body mirror. The way you dress is just ugly, are you even a woman?

Is this outfit ugly, or is it just the person wearing it? I sighed. Maybe it is a me problem. Last night, I was so hurt that I wore the red dress I bought for Zedrick. I had planned to wear it on our fifth anniversary date. But because of the breakup, last night I thought that if I would never get to wear it, I would just wear it now.

I shook my head again, remembering all the actions from last night. To temporarily forget those things, I immediately put my glasses on. I had run out of contact lenses for my blurry vision, packed all the things I needed into my bag, and left my apartment.

I was greeted by a silent corridor. It is Saturday. University students are probably either going to classes or sleeping. Hectic schedules are common here, which is why the silence is so loud I’m afraid to make even a little bit of noise.

There are days when this building would be too loud to sleep, mostly Sundays when people have a day off from all the paperwork and just want to have fun. But from Monday to Saturday, these paths are quiet. You can even hear the birds chirping outside. You feel like you are living alone. Other rooms know we are all in the same situation, trying to get a degree. That is why they value privacy and silence.

College is hell; it is survival out here. Other people say this is where your life begins, but in reality, it is not. College is the way to escape the life you are in now, hoping for a better future. Most students here are from small towns just like me, escaping from their families just like me.

I shrugged my shoulders and began walking to the exit. I looked at my watch. My eyes widened... it’s already eight a.m.?!

Mother Lasagna, I’m running late!

####

Hey guys, how do you like this chapter? I just noticed now while editing this, it has no dialogue whatsoever. But, I hope you still enjoyed it. A little background for my Venice — the purest of the purest. The picture above is how I envisioned Venice and her aesthetic ;) That’s all, have a great day ! — Also, thank you for urlocalbooklover for reviewing the last three chapters of my book I really appreacite it ! (⁠◠⁠‿⁠・⁠)⁠—⁠☆