(1) Lonely Nights

M E L A N I

Wednesday

10:46 pm

     Melani downs another shot. Her tenth shot of the night. Her body swaying to the music , the only thing she's able to comprehend is the beat. Her mind couldn't focus on much else, besides the fact that she'd been played once again.

    A two year relationship down the drain. One of the best things to ever happen to her. The couple ended last week due to him taking a job in another state. To an outsider looking in, the decision should be easy to do long distance. The man offered for her to come with him but she couldn't leave her life behind in California. She'd just started her first real corporate job along with her new apartment.

    She couldn't imagine throwing that all away to follow behind a man.

   To follow behind someone who's indecisive about existence half the time.

      All in all, Melani knew eventually that she would have to let him go. She couldn't help but to think that he'll get his act together and they'll live this fairytale.

     She shakes her head, downing her last shot. She scrunches up her face at the strong taste of fireball. Her mouth twisting at the stinging sensation as the tension in her shoulders relax. "Rough night", she opens her eyes, hearing someone put a glass down. Somewhat fixing her posture to be more appealing at the fine specimen sitting next to her.

"More like rough week", she corrects him, peering over at his drink choice. Picking up his cup, you could smell the taste of Hennessy from a distance. "Are you okay?", she giggles at herself, pointing at him. He matches her expression, "nah a nigga going through some heart break shit"

"Heart break shit? That drives you to drink the horniest drink in the world"

He lays his head on his hand. "Henny is only for horny people?"

"The idea is that you fuck after you drink it", she explains as he stares at her in amusement. "What's your name, handsome?"

"Marcus, you?"

"Melani"

"Beautiful name for a beautiful woman", Marcus compliments. She gives him a small smile, "thank you", she responds.

   "So heart break huh?", she picks back up the conversation, laying on her arms. She noticed how his expression fell, taking another sip of his drink.

    Marcus clears his throat, "Something like that. I broke up with my high school sweetheart two weeks ago. Shit between us just changed out of nowhere, especially this year. I understand people grow but I could feel us drifting further apart", he vents and she scoots closer to hear him better over the music. Her face softens, seeing his emotions displaying on his face.