The Bloop

Let's start off with a quick introduction. What is the "Bloop"?

The bloop is a sound registered for the first time in the Pacific Ocean 1997 by NOAA.

The sound went viral together with this picture.

Apparently the Bloop could be heard over an area of 5000 km. None of the known creatures today can create such a sound.

I will try my best to describe the sound.

If you play it at normal speed, it somewhat resembles to the sound a whale with a lower stem, such as a blue whale.

Underwater sounds are usually sped up though. If you listen to the sped up version of the sound, it surely sounds like a bubble that can be described as "bloop". Now we know the origin of the name too.

Scientist believe that the cause of this sound was ice breaking free from an ice berg in Antartica.

The estimated coordinates of the sound are 50°S, 100°W. It is somwhere in this area.

As I saw these coordinates, I came of thinking about the story "The Call of Cthulhu" published 1928

In the book, there is a lost city known as R'Lyeh. I did some research about this city and I found that the estimated coordinates of the lost city is 48°S, 126°W.

It might be just me, but I believe these coordinates seem somewhat similar to the Bloop's.

For those who haven't read or don't know about The Call of Cthulhu, it is a story about a giant creature that lives in this lost city of R'Lyeh.

Could it be the Bloop?

If I had to take a message from the book, I would say that it has something to do with the unexplored ocean. I believe that the idea with this book is that humanity should know it's limit because too much knowledge eventually leads to downfall.

Yet here I am, digging through this case...