chapter 26 - you're asking for too much

ELLE

Monday Night

Jade: I'm coming over

Me: In my room. Parents aren't home. Front door unlocked

Craning my neck, I twist my body to see the large bruise flawing my back in the standing mirror. A twinge of pain forces me to bite down on my lip and wince at the movement. The discolored mark is a grotesque watercolor of purple, blue, and sickly yellow. Let's hope I don't have to wear anything backless in the next few weeks.

Cassie doesn't look like she's able to do much besides pierce you with her dagger-like stares and words, but that shove... she could be the captain of a rugby team. It would certainly help her unleash whatever anger she has simmering. I've figured out absolutely nothing about her besides knowing her infatuation with Ace will make her do anything. Justin brought up jealousy, but it's more than jealousy that fuels the rage in her eyes. Rage and something else.

They tried to drag me away, their arms looped on either side of me like we were the three musketeers setting off on a happy grand adventure. Who knows what else they had in store for me if I hadn't used the group of guys walking towards us? I pushed Vanessa into them like a bowling ball hitting pins, then dashed back to my car and drove away.

But that isn't what's eating at me the most. What started as an innocent night hanging out with a friend turned into a rumor mill for the wolves and sharks and snakes.

Ace Daniels' Girlfriend Cheating On Him?

Best Friend Betrayal?

Love Triangle Scandal!

Ace Daniels and Elle Caldwell Break Up?

I scrolled through endless articles and comments on the internet of Justin and me at the arcade. They turned innocent pictures into something incredibly weird. People question and leave brutal comments and have attacked my character. Apparently, bending over an air hockey table translates to 'giving him the booty show.' How is that possible when he's on the other side?

It's amazing what people come up with. I even skipped school today to avoid Cassie.

I've been so upset about it all that I'm worried I will ruin Ace's reputation when I'm supposed to be making him look good. I haven't had the guts to text him about it either. Should I have told him that I was going to hang out with Justin? I shouldn't have had to. I'd done nothing wrong. I was told there'd be others there.

But I can't shake this feeling off that he's going to be upset with me. The thing is, I don't want him to be upset with me. I don't want his reputation to go down the drain because of a rumor I caused.

Maybe I should text him.

"Your pajama bottoms are see-through," a voice drawls, scaring the living daylights and a scream out of me. I slam my back against the wall, my hand going to my chest, while the other reaches for the nearest weapon—a bunny plush sitting on the bench at the foot of my bed. I hurl it at Ace, only for him to barely move his head and watch it soar over his shoulder.

Ace stands in the doorway of my room, smiling in amusement. "Nice try, Bugs Bunny."

I cringe at the name. "What are you doing here?" I squeak, tugging the hem of my oversized t-shirt, and suddenly very aware that I'm not wearing a bra. After Jade came over, I was set on burrowing under the covers, hoping a little zombie flick action would distract me from the harsh realities of the online world. The last thing I expected was for a boy to show up. I cross my arms over my chest. "Where's Jade?"