chapter 27 - you think i'm cute?

ACE

We stand facing each other, leaning against the island. Elle dangles that ugly three-inch keychain in front of my face. The cartoonish zombie has a big head and a little body, a mess of black hair, mismatched blue eyes, and a tattered red and black flannel shirt.

Looking back at her, her lips are still swollen from the way she let me kiss her—slowly, hungrily. I knew I wanted to kiss her again, but I didn't realize how bad I wanted to or how good it would feel until she kissed me, her arms around my neck, pulling me in like she was just as hungry.

Maybe deep down, I did know. Maybe it was the whole staring at her lips thing or how I'd keep bringing it up in conversation and tease her about it. But thinking about it is a whole lot different from actually doing it.

I was so curious about her, dying to know what was going on in that head of hers. Part of me feels like a selfish jerk, pushing her on the exact thing that made her run the other way. I didn't want her to feel that way or feel pressured or uncomfortable. Those feelings all left when she practically leaped into my arms. At least now, I know she doesn't hate the idea of kissing me. I hope we're done with the whole tension and arguing and misunderstanding thing.

Even though I was hundreds of miles away, I couldn't stop thinking about her. Coach noticed my distraction, how my mind drifted during practice drills and workshops with the professional players. He didn't press me, but he knew something was off. I was only at the conference to boost my teammates' names and hone my leadership skills for the rest of the season. It gave me time to clear my head and be honest with myself. Coach finally asked what had been distracting me. I admitted it was my girlfriend, forgetting she was my fake girlfriend.

He simply said, "Whatever it is, women like honesty. Talk to her."

She really meant it when she said she didn't want to play games with me. Now that we've talked things out, I need to deal with a few things—dealing with Cassie, why my best friend didn't tell me he was going to hang out with Elle, and how the media and Cassie knew they would be at the arcade. Some things didn't make sense.

"I'll trade you this for Daryl," Elle says firmly with an unwavering gaze.

"No. It's ugly," I tell her, silently daring her to continue the negotiation or back down.

Her face scrunches up, lowering the keychain. With a frustrated sigh, she grasps the whole thing in her hand, her voice turning defensive. "I thought he was cute. It reminded me of you, so I had to get him. You know I spent five dollars and five tries to—"

"You think I'm cute?" I interrupt, a grin spreading across my face. I can't help but enjoy the way my words catch her off guard. Her eyes widen, her cheeks turn rosy. It's the little hints like this that tell me what she might be thinking or if she's not being entirely truthful. I like the way I make her nervous, the way she avoids eye contact as she tries to think of a response. It tells me I make her feel some type of way.

"I was going to ask you to the soiree but never mind," Elle mutters in response, her defensive mode returning as she sets the keychain down. I watch as she walks over to the counter to grab a clear plastic container, returning with what looks like an entire golden brown cake. She stands in front of me, one hand on her hip and the other raising the container by the gold ribbon wrapped around it. Her eyes narrow as she waits for my next move, as if I'll apologize this time around for messing with her.

"Your mom said you love melopita," she pauses. "It sounded way cooler when she said it."

My Greek grandmother used to bake it for us all the time when she was alive. She'd always go on about "In Greece, we believe honey is a gift from Gods," and tell us stories about gathering honey from the hives in the hills. Over and over, same stories. Even when she got older and wasn't feeling great, she'd make the cake for us. Her desserts always felt like a warm hug. My mom has never been able to figure out the recipe and buys it from a Greek bakery now, but it's just not the same.