Chapter Seven

The ride to the duke's house felt long, but it could only have been a few minutes. They pulled into a large home that was fitting for the favorite duke of the king. Kat stuck her head out of the window as the house came closer, appearing to get larger with every stride the horses took. When they finally stopped at the front doors, her new home seemed almost as tall as the castle.

Duke Quir was the first to exit the carriage, holding his hand out to assist her as she also alighted. When they were clear, the carriage rolled away, leaving the two of them at the front steps of the grand home. They approached the house with her hand once again on his arm, hopefully appearing every bit a lovely couple as he held the door open and ushered her inside.

Her breath caught.

She had been living in the castle, but she mostly saw the servant's areas, which weren't decorated near as beautifully as the duke's home. The huge entrance room's floors shone so that she could imagine she saw herself in the darkened wood, and the walls were covered with exquisite art. Everything spoke of a luxury she had never been able to imagine for anyone, much less herself.

"Your Grace." A man came into the entrance and bowed slightly. When he straightened, he looked curiously at Kat.

"Vaytin," said Duke Quir. "You recall I informed you I was considering marriage? Well, my lady was seized by a bout of spontaneity, and I couldn't help but agree." He smiled fondly at her. "Please allow me to introduce you to Duchess Katarina Quir, my wife."

Kat did her best to smile at the man like James had taught her, who seemed to be doing his best not to gape. "O-oh!" His head dropped in another bow. "Your Grace. Welcome to the Quir household. I am Vaytin, Duke Quir's personal assistant. Is there anything I can fetch you? Perhaps you require food or drink?"

She glanced at the duke, who raised his eyebrows and nodded for her to answer. "Ah, no, but I thank you."

"I will show Katarina around," said Duke Quir. "Vaytin, please inform the rest of the staff of my marriage. Asola will be assigned as her maidservant."

"Of course, Your Grace." With yet another bow, the man left.

"Come," said the duke, beginning to lead her away. "Allow me to show you around your new home."

They walked through many rooms but made a brief stop in the kitchen. There were only three people inside—a far cry from the many who worked in the castle kitchens. One was a short woman with graying brown hair, and the other two were Sage and Jill, each hard at work.

Kat's shoulders dropped in relief. They're here. They're safe. A part of her had been expecting James or Riolf to agree just to get her to comply and then never make good on their word. I would not have wanted to argue with a duke about bringing two children into his home. I'm glad I won't have to.

Jill looked up from the dishes she was washing. "You're here!" Kat stepped over to give the beaming girl a quick hug. "Sage was worried that James was just trying to get rid of us."

Kat glanced at the boy, smiling slightly. "Have no fear, we are all going to be staying here together." She brushed Sage's shoulder with her hand.

He scowled, jerking away. "I wasn't worried. I just didn't want to be sent somewhere worse."

"I see," she said, amused. Her eyes turned to the older woman in the room, who was watching her curiously. "Good day. I am Katarina. Riolf's wife." She almost forgot to add the last part.

The woman raised her eyebrows, glancing at Riolf, then back at Kat. "I am Taleena, cook and kitchen keeper of the Quir household. My apologies for my shock, I was not aware that His Grace..." She stopped herself. "I didn't realize that he would be returning with a wife today."