Chapter Twenty-Nine

"That could have gone worse," Riolf remarked as soon as the meeting room doors closed behind him and Kat. It had taken three days for the nobles to assemble at the castle, and the session that had followed lasted hours. Most nobles were on Riolf's side after they saw the paper and heard his testimony, but a few stubbornly clung to the king they had previously known. Eventually, it stretched so long that Riolf brought it to an end so everyone could collect themselves and resume on the morrow.

"I suppose," Kat said, hurrying to keep pace with him as they walked through the castle towards the front doors. Riolf mentioned wanting some fresh air and neither of them felt like returning to the gardens. "Although they seemed too set on bloodshed for my liking." Several of the nobles had called for Jayden to be hanged, or better yet, burned for his crimes, but Riolf placated them by assuring them it was a topic that would be brought to court at a later time. "Did Jay—Kane ever say why he killed everyone in the dungeons?" It hadn't taken her long to realize that the dungeon master was only following orders from the then-king. Jayden was the one who ordered the dungeons to be cleared; in doing so he was partially responsible for the death of Marithiam and so many others, which almost included Kat if James had not rescued her that day.

"He said it was because he refused to trade the alien prisoners back to their countries and those who were in prison for other reasons were troublemakers and society would be better off without them." Riolf sighed heavily. He raised the king's crown, which he was carrying along with the documents his father had sealed, to peer closely at it. "I suppose I'll need this adjusted. They don't just magically change head sizes you know."

Kat chuckled slightly, pretending not to notice his sudden subject change or the pit that occupied her stomach every time she thought of Jayden. I don't know if that will ever go away. I don't even know if it's guilt, or love, or sorrow. I wish I could forget him, but he was too important to me to be banished without another thought. I'll miss him though, much as I am loathe to admit it.

"Kat!" Jill ran up to the woman, running into her arms when she crouched down. Sage trailed behind her at a more sedate pace. "That meeting was so long! Where are you going?"

The children had been horrified upon hearing of Jayden's lies—Jill even cried a little bit. Kat wasn't ashamed to admit that she did as well. But they handled themselves as best they could, recovering quickly and asking questions Kat didn't want to answer. Questions like, "what are we going to do now?"

"It was long," she agreed. "We're just going outside for a bit. Come on, maybe we can find some butterflies while we're out there." She took Jill into her arms, resting the girl on her hip. Even if she was eight years old, she was small for her age, and not getting any heavier despite the food Sam'ara was continually giving her, although she had filled out much since her days in the dungeons. Sage was looking remarkably healthier too. He was outside often with the soldiers, learning how to use weapons and rude language, both of which Kat had to ban from inside the castle.

Riolf glanced at her as they walked. "So, what will you do now?" he asked, echoing the children's dreaded question.

Kat shrugged a little. "I don't know yet. I didn't have any prospects before I went to prison and now I need to take care of Sage and Jill. I haven't had much time to sit down and think about it between meetings with you and trying to get some rest." Sleep didn't come as easily as it once did. Her bed felt too empty, her heart was too pained. "I suppose... Jayden was starting that orphanage—he told me once that he would name it after me. Perhaps I could volunteer my services there."

"You are always welcome in the castle," said Riolf. "Stay as long as you want. In fact, perhaps now would be an opportune time to ask something of you that's on my mind." He pushed open a door, letting sunshine stream in. "I thought perhaps you could become one of my advisors along with Edrick and Everett. Your passion for Driem gives me faith for the future." His multi-shaded eyes looked at her earnestly. "I truly do want you to stay, Katarina. You've become a dear friend to me and I want to take care of you and the children. They'll have whatever classes you want and you'll be allowed to live in the castle if that is what you wish."

She couldn't deny that she held him close to her heart as well. With everything they had been through together, it seemed there was no possible way for their friendship to dissolve. An advisor to the king? Well, I suppose it's not queen, but I'm hardly looking for that position now. It would be nice not to worry about living conditions, and I would still be able to see Riolf and keep up on the kingdom. I'll even have a say in how it's run. Perhaps I can make at least this city a better place for people like me. "I would like that," she said, giving him a smile.

"Good," he replied as they walked outside. "After everything that's happened, I can't imagine letting you just slip away."

Kat set Jill down to let her run in the grass with her brother. "I can't either."

They watched the children in silence for a moment. "How is the gravestone for Erion coming along? Have you finished designing it?"

"Yes, I sent the drawings in to a stonemason this morning before the meeting. He said that he would have it done as soon as he could so I can put it under the shylas before the flowers faded." There was a wood not far off from the castle that was home to a group of shyla trees. Kat requested for a space to put Erion's gravestone on, which had been gladly granted her by Riolf. It wouldn't be the same as burying her brother, but at least his spirit wouldn't feel forgotten.

"How kind of him."

They smiled at each other. For the first time in three days, Kat truly felt like everything was going to be all right.

Her eyes turned to Sage and Jillian, who were intent on capturing a butterfly.

Jill is so happy despite everything that's happened to her. And Sage still seems so strong. They've lost so much, but it ultimately led them to a better life. I suppose the same could be said about me. I've lost my parents, my brother, my husband, and yet here I am, enjoying the sunshine with a good friend and a little boy and girl I adore.

She took in a deep breath of the fresh air, letting a smile play on her lips. Today I can look forward and not be simply a street rascal or someone else's guard or queen. I can look forward to a life of being myself. Whomever that is. My season of pretending is finally over.