Chapter Ten

Kat stared at her, laugher and confusion boiling in her gut. "That's... ridiculous. The king and Duke Quir are as close as brothers. What reason would he have to conspire against his dearest friend?"

"'Tis only a rumor of course," said Hilasi. "I certainly do not believe it, but," she leaned closer, "it is said that your husband wishes for the throne his dear friend controls and is willing to kill him and wage war for it if he must."

Kat shook her head, closing her eyes to think. "Where have you heard all this from? Where is the evidence?"

"Someone saw the duke in the wood with another figure. They were whispering, but the one who saw them managed to hear the duke say, 'Jayden must be stopped, and I will do whatever it takes to do so.' The other man replied he would be right by Duke Quir's side when the time came, then they parted ways."

"Who saw them?"

"I know not of the source; I only heard it from a friend. But don't fear, I believe in the duke's integrity just like many of the other nobles do. There are always a few who are going to try to sully the name of anyone who has more power than they do."

Taking in a slow breath, Kat smiled at her. "Well, I'm sure there is no truth to those rumors, although it may be beneficial for me or the duke to find out who is spreading them so as not to further confuse others. Tell me, what do you enjoy doing when you are not at long council meetings such as this one?"

They spoke for another short time before the food was delivered. When everyone took their places at the table again, they seemed to do their best not to speak of politics until the meal was over.

After several more hours of arguments, the meeting was finally adjourned and the nobles left, although Riolf stayed behind to discuss a few things with the king. Kat stood while they were talking so she could walk the perimeter to stretch her legs.

"Katarina," the king said, still sitting at the table. "Riolf tells me you are from Nash Street." He waited until she took a few steps closer to continue. "What was it like? Is it truly as bad as everyone says?"

She took in a long breath. "Yes. It's... honestly horrifying compared to life in a manor or castle. I'm afraid you'll never truly understand."

His eyes met hers. "I want to," he said. "You must tell me everything. I want to see the city through your eyes. I need to understand my people. Tell me about Nash Street. Did you always live there?"

"Yes."

"What about your family. Are they there now?"

Her eyes glued to the table. "All of my family is dead as far as I know. I've never known about any extended family."

He tipped his head. "Never known about them? Do you not know your own family?"

"Not very well. My parents died when I was young, and I never had any family take me in, so I can only assume I don't have any—though I suppose it is possible I've just never discovered them."

"I see. What about friends? Are people on Nash Street close to each other?"

"No. We... tolerate each other, I suppose, but most of us despise one another. You never know who will steal from or try to kill you."

Riolf's chin rose as he listened, staring at the back corner of the room. The tan section of his left eye flashed in the light, drawing Kat's gaze to that side of his face. It was strange to see a large spray of freckles adorning one half of his face while the other side had clear skin without any sort of blemish. He seemed saddened by her words, yet there was no resolve in his eyes. He wasn't willing to do anything to help, or he didn't believe there was anything to do.