Chapter 9

The transition was abrupt. Dawn's light vanished as we crossed the threshold into Chaos. One moment we were standing on the slopes of the Brocken, bathed in the ethereal light of dawn; the next, we stood in a dark, echoing chasm where the only illumination came from a dim glow in the distance and strange, tiny spheres of light that appeared randomly in the air one second and disappeared the next.

There were no stars, not down here where the light of day couldn't quite reach and night was absorbed by the shadows. Instead, our constant companions were whisperings from an invisible source, in a language I had never heard and couldn't understand. Each hushed intonation set my hairs on end and chilled the blood in my veins.

"Stay close," I said, moving forward. Shadows flitted on the rocky terrain, dancing in and out of the flickering light spheres. Just one, two steps forward seemed to sap my strength, as if a solid force was pushing against my chest, like wading through sand.

Arden yawned wide. "Does anyone else feel really tired?"

"Stay awake. Keep alert," Ingrid snapped, though her own eyelids were sliding down her eyes.

Fawn scanned the darkness, her fingers twitching as if she was on the verge of summoning her water magic. Tension radiated from her as she walked beside me, each step deliberate and cautious. Arden moved with quiet confidence. Before he would even take a step, he bent low to the ground seemingly drawing comfort that even Chaos was lined with earth. Callan kept to the edges of our group, his movements a blend of grace and readiness.

"Ingrid?" The witch walked ahead, back stiff and shoulders hunched.

"I'm fine," she replied quickly. Too quickly. Her voice carried an edge, and her fingers curled at her sides. The shadows around her seemed to press closer, whispering louder.

"Let's keep moving," I said, glancing at the others. We fell into a cautious line, following Ingrid.

"How does the witch know where to lead?"

"I think she's following the light," I said, uneasily.

Arden shivered. "Brrrr. If there was one thing I didn't want to hear while down here, it was 'follow the light'. Rafe could have been more helpful. I mean he's had decades, possibly centuries to get some signage up around the place. A Welcome to Chaos here, a You Are Here map there. But no, looks like we're going to have to make our own way."

The ground was uneven, strewn with jagged rocks that seemed to shift underfoot. Whispers continued to float on the air around us, persistent, like a constant buzz. The longer our presence grew in Chaos, the more I appeared to understand the whispering shadows. I couldn't translate their words, but the feelings they stirred within me, I certainly could. They caressed my ears, promising safety, sowing seeds of doubt. I shook my head, trying to clear the fog they created.

When we had crossed a considerable distance, Fawn grabbed my hand and held it fast in a firm grip. She didn't speak, but the silent connection was enough to anchor me. We pressed on, the whispers growing louder, more insistent.

"Why don't we take a break?" I suggested more to Ingrid than anyone else as I hoped to refocus her mind. She hesitated, her breath catching, but she shook her head.

"We shouldn't spend any longer here than we need to. I've had enough of this ringing in my ears." Ingrid pushed on with a resolute stride. She led us into a descent into a narrow ravine, the path ahead swallowed by impenetrable darkness. Her steps faltered, and she froze, her eyes wide and unfocused.