Chapter 4

My eyes blinked open and then shut as the rays of sun poured into my bedroom, I found myself tangled in a massive heap of blankets and pillows. I slowly stretched my arms and lifted my head basking in the sunlight flooding in. Maybe an early morning walk would be a good way to start my day. My feet landed on the cool wooden floors and I recoiled slightly. I spent some time taking in everything that happened the previous day as I showered and picked out a change of clothes.

I styled my long thick curly hair in half up half down with lots of face framing curls. And chose a soft fitted long-sleeve white top with a low-waisted white skirt that had some frills trimming the bottom. I quickly fastened on some running shoes and added my gold jewelry, rings, earrings, and a dainty gold choker. In the morning I normally don't wear make-up. Instead, I opted for my cream lip balm that has a pinkish purple hue, I applied it to my lips, cheeks, and tip of my nose. I felt pretty. 

No stirring could be ascertained from my other two adjoining rooms so my roommates were still a mystery, and clearly not morning folks. I headed out the doos and made my way through the sprawling castle. As I walked I found the large library I had been to on my first day here. I wondered in seeing that there were a lot of other early risers picking through books, sitting with friends talking, and enjoying breakfast. 

A small coiled mass began to writhe in my stomach, as my fingers moved to fidget with each other, and then nervously smooth my curls. I was alone. Am I dressed ok? I picked up my pace not wanting to be seen standing at the entrance alone staring at the crowds. I decided to find a spot to order some tea from. A small quaint coffee shop stood towards the right of the entrance and I made my way over. 

I practiced my order around four times until it was my turn to order "Can I please have the small Oolong tea with steamed oat milk, and honey for sweetener. Thank you" I smiled, before fumbling over myself that I forgot to get any food. I was too nervous to make a correction and the cashier seemed busy so I walked over to the tables and nervously waited. "Na.. kai?" I heard someone call from behind the counter. 

I quickly got up a bit embarrassed that my name is never spelled right on the cups. I laughed a little to myself, scooped up my cup and headed for the books. I made my way over to the elemental section and found the small category for sun, as I walked I traced my fingers along the columns of books feeling the hardcover textured spines. A slightly damaged blue linen book caught my eye.

I plucked it from the shelf. It was a beginners training manual for sun calling. An ancient technique that not even my grandmother could have done in her prime. I placed it back on the shelf not even sure why a girl like me with barely any magic at all would be able to use such a book. As I turned to leave the section a gnawing feeling rose up within me. And I quickly grabbed the book and held it tight to my chest. Maybe I can try? 

I don't want to always be scorned and laughed at. What harm could come from reading this book. Sun calling is a rather unknown trait, why would a book on it be placed here? Most clans are rather secret about their special abilities, especially the powerful ones, but those of us with sun magic pride ourselves on being see through and honest like light sculptures are magic spins to life. 

Besides being one of the strongest elementals, well.. magic users, I think it stands more as a warning even at night our enemies have to be cautious. I made my way out of the library book in hand and headed towards some of the back open gardens. A lot more academy students were around now and I wanted to have some privacy so I headed into the dense woods. As I walked the trees bound together sewing up the sky. 

Up ahead a clearing was visible and sunlight seemed to be bursting through. I fumbled over gnarled roots pushing back branches until I made it. A bit out of breath I sat with my now less than steaming hot tea and took some sips. The air was crisp and although sunny it was a bit cold. Whenever I use my magic I tend to picture a well that I am drawing up from deep in my stomach and pull forth some magic.