Part 4

Isaiah

It's a really nice day out in mid June here in Charlotte, North Carolina. As much as I want to sleep on my off days, I really try to get out and not stay cooped up in my bed or home. Right now I'm enjoying a solo lunch in a popular cafe downtown on their outdoor patio. I take a bite of the sandwich before taking a sip of my water. I go to take another bite, until I am stunned in place when I see her. What? What is she doing here? Fuck I hope she doesn't see me. I continue to eat, but I internally groan when she walks over to me.

"Isaiah?," the woman called out to me. I swallow the contents and take a sip of water before looking at the woman.

"...Hey Amaya how are you?," I said politely.

"I uh...I'm good. Miss you though," Amaya said. I give her a stale look and she sighs before she sits down across from me.

"...You don't think you can give us another chance Isaiah?," Amaya said while placing her hand on top of my right one. I slowly pull my hand away and I see a sad look flash over her face.

"Amaya...you cheated on me. More than once. You broke our trust. I've explained this over and over. That trust can't be rebuilt," I said sternly.

"I know it can't be rebuilt overnight...but with time it can," Amaya said.

"Amaya...my profession has not changed. You complained how I was working so much and picking up extra shifts and you know I was doing that for the down payment on my house. I enjoy my job and I still pick up shifts all the time to help with my savings since having a house can be expensive. Why would I get back into anything with you when you have shown me who you truly are?," I expressed. Amaya sighs and pushes a bit of her hair behind her shoulders. I can't deny she looks good. But she can't be trusted. No matter what she looks like, I can't go down this road again. I was good to her and I didn't deserve to be cheated on.

"...I was so dumb for cheating on you," Amaya said softly.

"Oh yeah why do you say that?," I asked.

"You were so good to me. So respectful always. So handsome...so caring and generous. I miss you so much," Amaya said. I sigh as I look her over. She seems sincere about missing me, but what does she want from me?

"Amaya....I can't do this with you again and you know that. If we were to try again, I would be paranoid every second we are away from each other because I wouldn't believe anything you said to me," I said honestly. Amaya sighs and nods her head.

"Ok...I regret doing what I did to you. I am sorry because you never deserved that," Amaya said.

"I appreciate you saying that," I said.

"But...if you change your mind or what to be friends maybe, here's my number," Amaya said while taking a small card from her purse and sliding it towards me. I nod my head and she smiles softly before standing up from the table and leaving the restaurant. I sigh as I look over the card with her number. A part of me misses her, but it's really just me missing the company of a woman. I was with Amaya for a little less than a year. We started out strong for sure, but then I started working a lot more and that's when she started to cheat on me. She started cheating 10 months into our relationship and within a month I found out. I walked in on her one night at her apartment to surprise her, but she shocked me when I found her with another man. I stormed out and ended the relationship immediately. The relationship ended about 5 months ago. When it first ended, she constantly was reaching out to me saying how sorry she was etc. I didn't even bother responding. So for her to be on that same shit 5 months later is really surprising. She did exactly what she wanted and it's cool. I'm definitely over that and I have no interest anymore whatsoever. When I am done eating, I pay my bill and grab Amaya's card. I look it over before dropping it in the trash on the way out.