@ganbaruby

Hello fellow Wattpadders! Today we have with us, Kae Ruby (ganbaruby), whose first completed action story, Starlight, made the Wattys shortlist in 2021. One year later, their story The Brightest Star in a Constellation won a Watty in Young Adult. They became a Wattpad Creator in 2024, have been featured on various Ambassador profiles, and won an Amby in the action novel category. As well, they have been an Ambassador for nearly four years, helping search for undiscovered works by talented authors and aiding in reviewing stories for community profiles (and formerly on the Ambassadors profile).

I am Abhipreeti (_abhipreeti_) and I have interviewed Kae Ruby.

Kae Ruby is the pen name of a wannabe Canadian writer who enjoys exploring new genres and having fun

Kae Ruby is the pen name of a wannabe Canadian writer who enjoys exploring new genres and having fun. They originally started out writing fanfiction for the anime Love Live in the captions of their Instagram account, which is where their username comes from. Their heart is captured by action and contemporary stories, though they occasionally venture into any idea that strikes their fancy.

Since transitioning to original works, they have found a passion for writing and growing in their craft. Their first completed action story, Starlight, made the Wattys shortlist in 2021. One year later, their story The Brightest Star in a Constellation won a Watty in Young Adult. They became a Wattpad Creator in 2024, have been featured on various Ambassador profiles, and won an Amby in the action novel category. As well, they have been an Ambassador for nearly four years, helping search for undiscovered works by talented authors and aiding in reviewing stories for community profiles (and formerly on the Ambassadors profile).

When not writing, Kae enjoys photography (some of which are included in their stories), reviewing and drawing. They speak both French and English fluently. In the future, they hope to continue learning as a writer, owning the supportive Wattpad community for helping them improve.

How would you describe yourself as a writer?

>>I am a plantser, the combination of a planner and a pantser. Before I start a story, I try to have a general idea of where I'm starting and where I will end. The rest comes as I continue to write. I spend a lot of time thinking about the story and daydreaming about it.

My outlines are pretty basic. I usually aim to give the story room to breathe while keeping it simple.

So, my plan for a chapter may be as basic as knowing two characters have to talk to each other, and I figure out the rest along the way. This gives my ADHD brain the structure it needs, while also allowing me the freedom to have fun and explore new ideas. Some of my best writing comes from the unexpected when I allow the characters to take the reins.