Price for Power

The familiar setting of Danny's room was bathed in the soft glow of candlelight as Stolas sat beside him. As promised, Danny was on his best behavior during Stolas' visit a week later. Granted, Danny had been consistently well-behaved with the owl demon since they first met. This time around, Stolas offered to teach Danny about some of the precious stones he worked with. While the boy was initially unsure, conjuring up chromatic crystals in the palm of his hand brought back the wonder in his eyes.

#

During one of their breaks, Stolas decided to ask a question that had been on his mind for a while.

Books and notes were scattered across the floor. Stolas, reclining in a chair, looked at Danny thoughtfully. "Danny," Stolas began, his voice gentle, "I've been curious about something. Do you mind if I ask?"

Danny looked up from cleaning up his room a bit. "Uh, sure."

"You've mentioned your parents a few times, but what exactly do they do for a living? You've mentioned that others see your family as weird and possible devil worshipers."

Danny shifted a bit, glancing at his desk where a family photo sat. "Well, I already told you that we aren't. They're scientists." The boy seemed to hold his tongue.

"I take it that they study something on the paranormal side of things," the owl demon chuckled.

Danny looked to the floor. "Yeah..."

Stolas ruffled Danny's head. "Don't worry, young man. I've met devil worshipers, and you are very much not like them."

Danny rubbed his arms. "My parents study ghosts," he said, his voice tinged with uncertainty.

Stolas blinked at the answer. "Ghosts?" He was expecting them to be demonologists, religious scholars, or something.

Danny nodded. "Yeah. They spend a lot of time in their lab, inventing gadgets and trying to prove that ghosts exist. "

Stolas raised an eyebrow, genuinely intrigued. "That's quite an unusual profession. Do they have much success in their pursuits?"

Danny sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, not really. They still haven't proved they exist. Most people in town think they're crazy. No one believes them, and their inventions don't always work the way they're supposed to. But they're really passionate about it. It's their life's work."

Stolas tilted his head, his red eyes reflecting a thoughtful glow. "Interesting."

Danny sat on his bed. "You're from Hell, Stolas. Do ghosts exist?"

Stolas made a thoughtful expression. "I must admit, I don't know. Typically, souls either ascend to Heaven or descend to Hell. The concept of lingering spirits is rather foreign to me. If it's any consolation, I've heard of places like Limbo and Purgatory in literature, but I don't know if they actually exist. Humans are known to say all sorts of things to trick themselves into believing they won't go to Hell."

Danny shrugged, a small smile playing on his lips. "Yeah, I get that. But my parents are convinced ghosts are real. They're always talking about ectoplasm and the spirit plane. I don't really understand all of it, but they're so dedicated. I don't have the heart to tell them they might be wrong."

Stolas leaned forward, his expression softening. "It's commendable that you support them despite your doubts." Thoughts drifted to the King of Hell and how he was cast out. "Passion can drive people to remarkable lengths, even if their beliefs are unproven."

Danny nodded. "Yeah, I guess. I just want them to be happy.."

Stolas smiled, placing a reassuring hand on Danny's shoulder. "That's a noble sentiment, Danny. Your parents are fortunate to have such an understanding son."