10. They Were Roommates

As I exit the school building, Carlos calls me over.

Ven: "Hey, Carlos."

Carlos: "Hey, Ven. Since it's Monday, the worst day of the week, why don't ya come out with us and come on down to the malt shop with me and the girls?"

Ven: "Oh, I'd like to, but I am actually going to grab a soda with a biker."

Carlos: "What? Why?"

Ven: "He's not so bad. I like that the bikers, in general, gave me the confidence I needed to stand up for myself and Velvet."

Carlos: "Maybe so. Nonetheless, ya shouldn't be hanging around them. They're trouble."

Ven: "Well, I'll make a final judgment tonight. If he really is bad news, then I'll cut ties. I think, though, any of the bikers could be good to have around; other kids will finally stop messing with me."

Carlos thinks for a moment, then nods.

Carlos: "Okay. Be careful, Ven. You're not as big as me, but I saw how ya could hold your own."

Ven: "Thanks, Carlos. Here."

I give him money to pay for the girls; then we part ways.

I start to walk home until I hear a bike rev behind me.

Sleepy Boy: "Hi, princess."

Ven: "Hi, Sleepy."

Sleepy Boy: "Wanna ride?"

Ven: "Others could see me on your bike. They might tell my Father."

Sleepy Boy scrunches his face in confusion yet takes in what I'm saying. That's the problem with living in such a small town; word travels quickly.

Especially when your Father is the Mayor.

Sleepy Boy: "I guess so. How 'bout ya come round my place? I'll get ya a pop, and we can have somewhere we can hang out without anyone seeing us."

Ven: "Where do ya live?"

Sleepy Boy: "The Burrows."

I've never been to the Burrows. That's the side of town where... it's not the safest way to go, by any means. It's where the "poor" kids live, as well the gangs.

Ven: "How will I know which house is yours?"

Sleepy Boy: "Hmm. I'll sit on my front porch. It's the first street when ya walk down there."

I nod, feeling nervous as Sleepy Boy drives away. I make it home, shower, and then sneak more of Velv's perfume. I hurry downstairs before Father can see me, and get onto the street with no problem.

As I walk toward the Burrows, a car honks at me. It's Carlos with the girls.

Carlos: "Ven? Where ya walkin' to?"

Ven: "The Burrows."

The girls gasp dramatically as Carlos scoffs.

Carlos: "Why ya going there?"

Ven: "That's where Ritz's house is."

Velv: "Ritz?"

Ven: "The biker."

Midori: "Are ya to hang out with him?"

Ven: "Yes. He suggested his house so we aren't seen by others, or Father."

Carlos: "I don't like it. Not one bit."

Velv: "Neither do I. Carlos, could we at least drop him off?"

Midori: "Yes, that'd ease my worrying."

Carlos: "Yeah, alright. Get in, Ven. We'll see for ourselves what this Ritz kid really wants."