Web of Deciet

Vince's POV:

I drove to my family home, the memories of past conversations echoing in my mind. The date, November 10th, etched in my heart, conjured up emotions I struggled to contain. As I approached the gates, the butler recognized me and promptly opened them, his face a mask of neutrality. I stepped inside, my eyes immediately drawn to the family portrait hanging in the foyer. The sight of it brought back memories of the bloodshed that had haunted me since that fateful day.

I made my way to Grandma's room. She was sitting comfortably, engrossed in a book. As soon as she saw me, her eyes narrowed slightly. "You don't remember me, do you, from the day you left for the USA?" Her tone was laced with bitterness, but deep down, I knew she cared.

"Sorry, Dadi," I said sincerely. My voice and emotions were as genuine as they had been when I was a child. I handed her a box of her favorite gulab jamun. "I know you're wondering why Valencia and Dad share the same favorite sweet. That's a mystery I still haven't figured out."

Her expression softened slightly as she accepted the sweets. "Thank you," she said, her tone gentler. We talked for a while, and she eventually asked, "Have you met someone to marry?"

My eyes twitched with irritation. This was one of the reasons I didn't visit often. "Yes, Dadi, your chota has grown up," I replied.

Her face lit up with happiness. "Yes! Mere chota tukda, where is she? I want to meet her."

I smiled, seeing her joy. "I'll introduce you when the time is right, Dadi." We chatted a bit more before I left her room, feeling a mix of relief and sadness.

On my way out, I ran into Rudra. His face broke into a mischievous grin as soon as he saw me.

"Hey, Vince! Back from the USA, huh? Still as stiff as ever, I see."

I rolled my eyes. "Good to see you too, Rudra."

He laughed. "You know, I was just telling Aadhya how you used to be such a bookworm. Always with your nose in some thick, boring book."

"Better than your comic books," I shot back, smirking.

"Oh, come on! Comics are art, my friend. Art!" He put on an exaggeratedly serious face, making me laugh despite myself.

"Yeah, yeah. So, what have you been up to?"

"Just the usual. Being awesome and making sure Aadhya doesn't get lost in the markets."

I chuckled. "Sounds like a full-time job."

"You have no idea." Rudra grinned, then his expression turned slightly more serious. "So, how's everything? Really?"

I sighed. "It's... complicated. But I'm managing."

"Well, if you need a distraction, you know where to find me. And Aadhya . She's a great listener, even if she does think Mommos is better than modak."

We both laughed again, and for a moment, the weight of my thoughts lifted. "Thanks, Rudra . I'll keep that in mind."

As I left the house, I felt a renewed sense of purpose. There were secrets to uncover, and I needed to be strong for both Valencia and myself. The path ahead was uncertain, but with the support of my friends and family, I knew I could face whatever came next.

Later that evening, I had another mission. I pulled on my mask, concealing my identity. The city was a labyrinth of secrets, and my role within it was crucial. As I arrived at the designated meeting spot, I saw my contact waiting for me. We convened in a dimly lit warehouse, our faces hidden in the shadows.

"Vince," the man began, his voice low and grave, "we've got a new lead on the human trafficking ring operating in the area."

I nodded. "What have we got?"