Veil

The news of Ted Cormack's death had spread quickly like wildfire. He was a business prodigy and a philanthropist. One of the richest in the country. But beyond production and business, Ted had touched millions of lives before his death, all of which were genuinely heartbroken upon hearing the news.

It’s been a month, and the media still discusses it as one of the most shocking events in the history of the country. But Georgina Cormack, his daughter and sole heir, had had enough of it.

“Please turn it off,” she said to the driver as she picked up a newspaper beside her. The car went silent. She needed it. The quiet gives her room to think about how to deal with Mrs. Cormack, her evil step mom who was ready to tear everything her father worked for apart.

“The court has given a hearing to the workers,” her secretary had informed her earlier in the morning, and now she had to go to court. She was being sued, and unfortunately the chemicals she was being sued for were not purchased by her company. No one knew how it got into the store. But no one cared either, people are eating this up. A nice buffet prepared by the media sponsored by the evil witch.

Her phone rang, it was Mark Dunst, her betrothed. They were introduced a few weeks before her father’s death and Georgina was still trying to get used to him. Although in all fairness, he seemed like a decent guy.

“I’m on my way, Mark.” She said.

“I know, I just wanted to see how you’re doing,” he said, with concern.

“I’m okay, this isn’t going to take long.” she replied.

“I’ve spoken with Norman. He said the purchase records could be effective.” Mark said. “He’s gone over to get it from the secretary department.”

“I’d talk to him when he gets back,” Georgina replied, checking her wristwatch. “We’ll probably need more than that to beat their evidence.”

“I know,” Mark replied. “That's why I’m worried. Everything seems to be going against us.”

“It’s fine, we got this.” she said as she ended the call. She was actually motivating herself. She needed a voice of assurance but Mark was just another voice of doom, and it was internally breaking her defense walls.

Her face fell on the newspaper again. She had seen her father engrossed in reading it countless times, and now she’s taking the reins from him, it felt like the only way to stay connected to him.

As usual, the front page depicts the doom of the stock market, and how America’s billionaires aren’t helping. It’s not news anymore that the masses feel like the rich are their enemy.

She turned over the page and there it was, a headline about Jake Pierce, one of America’s finest. She’d heard about his conquests in courts and many people who have actually met him sang his praises.

She enjoys reading about him, he gives her back the hope she’d lost in the American legal system. She knew his basic stats, Jake Pierce, 30, born to a family that hailed from a generation of lawyers. Started from criminal laws and now in corporate. Single. Enjoys tennis and fishing with his boss’ husband.

Almost everyone knows Jake Pierce in California even though he was far away in New York.

“They’re lucky over there,” she chuckled. “This man needs to come down to California.”

“Jake Pierce?” her driver said. He knew the lawyer was what makes her smile anytime she’s reading the newspaper.

“Honestly, he’s becoming a legend.” she said, delightedly. “How’s he doing it?”