Driving Speechless

Georgina consumed the content in the newspaper with interest. She’d been somehow angry at how the case against Jake Pierce was playing out. But now, the media was examining an important point. Jake was silent. He hadn’t said anything, and now people believe they’re in for a surprise.

She’d spent a full day at Bikers, barely looking up from the documents she was reading right in her corner at the vip section. She took the place this time because it was more quiet. 

Dealing with Howard and his mother had taken its toll. And now they have a new lawyer who thought he knew everything. Norman was not helping, he was unbearably lagging and Mark didn’t support sacking him. 

Two people gives her comfort now, Mark’s presence, and Jake Pierce. The latter she hadn’t even met. All she knew about him was just in words. And now, in the corner of this cool interior, she’d decided to take a break by devouring every story about Jake Pierce, her celebrity hero.

Her alarm beeped and she glanced at her watch. She had a dinner appointment with the private shareholders and it was thirty minutes away. She cursed under her breath as she packed up and rushed outside. 

The annoying waiter was the last person she wished to see. He stood by the road side, probably awaiting a taxi while looking decently handsome. Georgina had wished he wasn’t good looking. At least she’d have more reason to resent him. But seeing his good looks and gentle demeanor was more annoying. 

She gently walked past him, trying to keep her cool as she approached her car. She had to drive herself as she’d given Mr. Kent a day off. 

She was about to enter the car when his voice sounded behind her. “Excuse me,” he said.

“Oh my god, are you a stalker?” she said as she  turned to face him. She caught her breath as he was too close making her look into the enchanting blue eyes. 

“No,” he replied calmly. “But you dropped a paper.” He held the paper up to her and waited. 

Georgina snatched it from him and fixed it among the others. 

“No thanks?” he asked. 

“Don’t pester me, please.” she replied as she got in the car. 

“You don’t happen to be going towards Bakersfield, are you?” he asked as he leaned on the car. 

Georgina didn’t answer. She raised the car and the engine roared. 

“Could you give me a lift to my destination? It’s around your route and the taxi isn’t showing up.”

“I suck at driving too,” she replied and drove forward, not caring whether or not he fell. She stopped a few meters away and looked in the rear mirror. He was dusting his arms. 

He looked in her direction and calmly walked up to the car. “Are you changing your mind?” he said. 

“Mr. Darhl told me you’re a close friend,” she replied without looking at his face. “I’m doing this for him.” It was a lie, she’d gotten used to his company over the days and could do with a partner on her way.

“Ah thanks to Mr. Darhl,” he said as he entered the car. 

“I’m not your driver,” Georgina said. “Get your rear to the front seat now!”

He stepped out again, and entered into the front seat. “Why do you always sound so mad?” he asked. 

She ignored him as she drove into the busy road.

‘Nice car by the way,” he said after a few moments of silence. It was the first compliment she was getting from him and she refrained from smiling. 

“Where’s your driver?” he asked.

“You can’t just keep quiet, isn't it?” Georgina asked. 

“No,” he said. She knew he was looking at her and she fixed her gaze on the road. “My job requires a lot of talking.”

“Good for you. Keep it up, then.” she replied, turning on the radio. 

“No way, you liked this channel too?!” he beamed. 

Georgina stole a glance at his delighted face and groaned. He was really annoying as he sang along with the radio. She turned it off and silence flooded the car again. 

“You’re such a party pooper,” he said quietly. 

“What?” Georgina exclaimed. “Is that what I get for giving you a ride?”

“If you’re going to give me a ride you need to put in some good channel too, it’s boring in here.” he said. 

She halted beside the road. “Get down.” 

“What?!” His eyes shot up to hers and their gazes locked again. 

She hated it whenever it happened. He was an annoying stranger yet, she wanted to look at him forever. 

“Alright, you can enjoy your silence,” he said. “I won’t say anything anymore.”

She turned her face to the other side and smiled as she continued driving. He was finally silent, now what? She felt awkward for treating him badly, but he deserved it. 

“What’s your name?” she asked after a long minute of silence. 

He didn’t answer. 

“You could at least tell me that,” she pressed.

“You asked me not to say anything,” he answered. 

“But now I’m asking you a question,” she said. 

“Well I don’t have an answer to your question because you’re literally driving me speechless.” 

“You’re being petty about this.” she shook her head. 

“Petty?” he scoffed. “You just asked me to get down because I wanted some music. Which could save us from awkward conversations.”

“You were being noisy,” she said. 

“I was vibing to the channel,” he replied. “It’s our favorite.”

Our favorite?” 

“Don’t deny it,” he said. “You literally navigated there yourself. I saw it.”

“All of this because you don’t want to say your name?” 

“I want to,” he replied. “But I’m busy trying to keep my mouth shut as I was asked.”

“You’re annoying,” she said. 

“Thank you,” he replied.

“I hate you,” she said. 

“The first compliment I’m receiving from you.” He nodded. “You can be rest assured that it's mutual.”