CHAPTER 11

Karina's Point of View

"I wont," she whispered, refusing, locked in my gaze, with an emotional depth swirling in her eyes that, for the life of me, I could not read. She smiled secretly, erupted into those secret smiles, as though she knew something I didn't.

I breathed in deeply, biting my lower lips by dipping my head slightly in gesture of uncertainty.

A wave of emotion came through me and left me feeling like I was in a downpour. I did not know what was going on, but since we came here, a feeling of premonition had been gripping me. It was as though an unseen force was warning me to be very careful.

Suddenly, her hands cupped my cheeks, startling me. She gently lifted my head, her brows furrowed with concern.

"You seem different," she whispered, barely audible. "Something's wrong?" she inquired; the tone showed evident traces of worry.

I breathed out shakily. "I don't know," I said, in the tone so low. "I'm a little uneasy, and I don't know why," I admitted, my heart suddenly racing.

Her fingers outlined a soft path along my jaw, her eyes gentling. "If you're concerned If I'll leave you, I won't," she offered, her voice steady, reassuring. "I swear."

Her eyes held a sincerity it was impossible to doubt.

"Show me," I urged her, "Don't just make promises, prove it to me."

"I will," she murmured, her voice hardly above a whisper, "I will show it to you."

Her words brought the comfort I wanted, but not t\hat I needed, and I twisted my lips into the semblance of a smile as I pulled her into my embrace so I could feel every angle of her body pressed up against mine.

Although it was all new and uncomfortable, I buried my face into the crook of her neck where her fingers traced soothing patterns on my back.

I can't lose you, Win.

All I want is to have you here with me.

If that entails spilling blood, so be it. I don't care if it's family, I just need you to be mine.  

That's all. Only mine.  

And now is not the time to let you go, not when you're already showing me this side of you.

We stayed like that for a few minutes until we heard the maids calling us to go downstairs. As we went down the stairs, the maids greeted us. Winter gladly returned the greeting with a cheerful smile but, on the other hand, I just gave them my infamous cold stare.

We went to the dining area, taking our usual places. A maid served us. "When will they be back?" I asked and looked at the table.

"They will be late, Ma'am," replied the maid.

I nodded and fell silent.

After the maid had gone away after serving us, I looked at my stepsister who was engrossed in her food.

Feeling my eyes on her, she lowered her spoon and looked up at me.

"Why?"

I just shook my head and smiled at her.

After dinner, we went to the living room, deciding to stay there for the entire evening watching movies because tomorrow was Saturday.

We sat down on the long couch, my legs crossed, as she handed me the remote.

"What genre do you prefer?" I asked.

"Usually mysteries, but let's go with a rom-com tonight," she suggested.

I nodded and began searching for a movie. We started in on one that sounded relatively promising and then settled into the couch.

I saw her from the corner of my eye, totally into the movie. I smiled and leaned my head against her shoulder.

She glanced at me for a second and then looked back at the screen.

I found this movie absolutely boring.

I don't like movies, but right now, I'm watching a boring one, seated next to my stepsister, who is very engrossed in it.

I took her hand; our fingers interlocked.

"Why aren't you watching?" she asked.

"I'm bored," I confessed, still fidgeting with her fingers.

Her hand fit so well in mine.

"Do you want me to change it?" she offered.

I shook my head. "Just watch. I'm not a fan of movies, I admit. "But don't worry. Watch as much as you like." I don't mind," I assured, giving her a small smile.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

I nodded.

I flinched when she leaned in, pressing a quick kiss to my lips. I froze, taken aback.

"W-What?" I stammered.

She chuckled.

That was the first time she had initiated a kiss.

What the hell!?

I took a moment to compose myself, leaning back against the couch.

It was just a peck, Karina!

Her laughter filled the room.

"You're acting as if I ravished you," she teased.

I shot her a glare.

Everything this woman does gets on my nerves. It's like she wields this crazy power over me that turns me into an idiot.

She reached for the remote and switched off the TV, and then turned back to me. Her lips played around, feeling a playful little smirk.

"How does that feel?" she asked, trying to stifle a fit of giggles.

I frowned. "What?" I asked in disbelief.

She chortled, and I gave an eyeroll to her before starting to rise from the floor.

I could feel her following as I stalked toward my room. She ambled inside after me without a by-your-leave.

I went to my closet and grabbed comfortable clothes before changing quickly into them before heading to my bed where she was waiting for me.

I threw my hair up in a mess on top of my head with my rubber band and started my evening routine at the vanity. A half-hour later, I joined her on the bed.

I just looked at her, leaning back against the headboard, with my arms crossed over my chest.

My stepsister shifted closer and sat at the edge of the bed, with her back to mine, and then rested against me. She turned her head and was looking at me.

I put my arms around her petite waist, and my fingers gently caressed her side. I only arched an eyebrow at her when she looked at me.

"Let's stay like this, it's comfortable," she murmured.

I couldn't help but agree subconsciously. This one was feeling intimate, almost romantic at the same time.

"Okay, but this one's comfier if I'm on your lap," I teased her.

She flushed a deep red, something that, of course, made me chuckle. I inched closer, her lips only brushing up against mine. I was going to end up addicted to her lips very easily.

They were like a drug.

Sweet, having a concoction of strawberry from her lip balm and a hint of mint.

Her lips.

I pulled back, dabbing at my lower lip with the tip of my tongue as our gazes met.

"Your lips are addictive," I whispered.

I pressed a quick kiss to her lips before leaning back against the headboard, never losing her gaze.