042

Short Narration

"You still don't believe me?" Devi's soothing voice echoed softly in my ears, wrapping around me like a warm blanket. Her arms enveloped me, hugging me tightly, as if she were afraid I might disappear. I shook my head, instinctively burying my face deeper into the crook of her neck, inhaling the sweet scent of her hair, a mix of strawberry and melon.

I was stunned to realize that she had been hiding her feelings for me for over a decade. If Tav and Maria hadn't accidentally let it slip during our chat earlier, I would have remained blissfully ignorant of her feelings for me. Guilt washed over me as I thought of all the missed opportunities. Bakit kasi ang manhid ko? I asked myself.

"I feel bad," I murmured, tightening my grip around her neck, hiding my face further into her warmth. The soft rumble of her laughter echoed through my chest as she began to massage my back gently, her fingers tracing little circles that made my heart race. 

"Oh my baby! You're so cute. I thought no hugging until you said yes to me," she teased, pulling back slightly to look me in the eyes. Her playful grin made me instinctively cross my arms, a playful pout forming on my lips. This girl, why did she have to complicate everything? I watched as she burst into laughter again, her head falling against my shoulder, her laughter bright and warm.

This was one of the things I both loved and hated about her, she loved teasing me, poking at my weaknesses until I was embarrassed, only to pull me back into her arms with her charm. She knew I was easy to sway. Gusto ko nilalambing niya ako palagi.

"Don't laugh nga, I'm still upset that you didn't tell me sooner," I said, the seriousness of my tone contrasting with the lightness of the moment. As she nestled her head against my shoulder, I began to gently massage her hair, my fingers threading through the soft strands. I noticed her eyes fluttering closed, surrendering to the comfort I offered, her breathing slowing into a soft rhythm. Ang ganda niya talaga.

"Let me tell you a story," she began, her voice soft and melodic. "I've known you for a decade now, sweetheart. Remember that iPad you and Tav took a picture with? It was mine. I remember being in Cafe-eling, washing my hands for just a moment. When I came back, I found your photo in my gallery, and that was the first time my heart realized, 'Oh, she's the one.' " Her gaze locked onto mine, intense and vulnerable, as she reached up to caress my cheeks delicately, as if I were a fragile piece of art. 

She took my hands, pressed her lips softly against them, and her touch sent shivers down my spine. As she continued sharing her memories, it felt like we were wrapped in a bubble, the outside world fading away, leaving only the two of us.

"Do you remember the volleyball game you played back in the day? I was there, baby. Watching you, even though you didn't know me then. Tav and Maria knew me, but you were so sungit, hindi ka namamansin." she laughed, her hands gesturing animatedly, as if she were painting a picture of that day. I couldn't believe that she had been in the stands, cheering me on as I awkwardly tossed the ball around. I recalled how my professor had proclaimed me the star player for the festival, even as I sulked, wishing to avoid the spotlight. Dinamay lang naman ako ni Tav at Maria eh.

"What about the debate battle I had?" I raised my eyebrows in surprise, heart racing as I awaited her response.

"I did," she said, her grin lighting up her face.

"You did?" I exclaimed, almost jumping to my feet in disbelief. I couldn't fathom that she had been there, a silent spectator through my trials and triumphs.

"I was always there," she said softly, her eyes glimmering with sincerity. "Watching you in everything you did. I was there at your graduation ceremony, standing among the crowd, so proud of you. And remember your freshman band performance? I was in the audience, clapping and cheering, even if you never saw me."

With each revelation, my heart swelled with warmth and an undeniable sense of connection. She had been a constant presence, a quiet supporter through every significant moment of my life. The weight of my feelings surged, and in that moment, I knew I couldn't hold back any longer.

I leaned in closer, capturing her lips with mine in a soft, tentative kiss. Our emotions swirled around us like a dance, electrifying the air. In that perfect moment, it felt as if the world had fallen away and only we existed, bound by an unspoken promise of what was to come. As I pulled back, I searched Devi's eyes, feeling both nervous and excited.

"Devi," I said, my heart racing, "I didn't realize how much I needed you in my life."

Her smile grew wide, and she held my hands tightly. "I've always been here, hoping you'd see it."

I took a deep breath, feeling the weight of the moment. "I want us to be together. Yes."

Her face lit up with joy. "Really? You mean it?"

"Yes," I confirmed, a smile spreading across my face. "I want to share everything with you."

Devi's eyes shimmered with tears of happiness. She leaned in, resting her forehead against mine. "Then let's make every moment count, together."

We stood there, wrapped in each other's embrace, the future stretching out before us like a vast, open sky.

🍓