052

Short Narration

Dev paced nervously around their condo, the message from Khalee echoing in her mind: "Coming home from work immediately. We need to talk." It had only been hours since Davia had accidentally added Khalee to a secret group chat where Dev’s friends had been discussing the proposal. Khalee had seen everything.

The condo felt suffocating. Dev’s palms were clammy, and her heart pounded against her ribs. She kept glancing at the door, her mind swirling with anxiety and regret. The sunlight streaming through the windows felt too harsh, casting long, stark shadows that seemed to mock her nervousness. Dev's thoughts darted between how she’d imagined the proposal and the sudden fear that everything might be ruined.

Her mind drifted back to the night she had spent choosing the perfect ring, how she’d meticulously planned every detail, hoping to make it a beautiful surprise. She had pictured the intimate dinner, the soft music playing, and the moment she’d kneel with the ring, asking Khalee to marry her. But now, the plan seemed to have fallen apart before it could even begin.

Finally, the sound of the key turning in the lock jolted her back to reality. The door creaked open, and Khalee stepped inside. Her face was a mix of confusion and concern, and Dev’s heart sank at the sight.

“Khalee, I—” Dev started, her voice catching, but Khalee raised a hand, her expression serious.

“Dev, we need to talk,” Khalee said, her voice steady yet filled with an underlying emotion. “I saw the messages in the group chat.”

Dev nodded, her throat tightening. “I know. I’m so sorry. I didn’t want you to find out this way. I was planning a surprise.”

Khalee sighed and sank into the couch, her eyes not leaving Dev’s face. “I’m just confused. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I wanted it to be perfect,” Dev confessed, her voice quivering. “I wanted to make everything special for you. I didn’t want anything to go wrong.”

Khalee’s expression softened. She stood up and walked over to Dev, her steps deliberate but gentle. She took Dev’s hands in her own, and for a moment, they just stood there, holding each other’s gaze.

“Dev,” Khalee said softly, “you don’t need to make everything perfect. I love you for who you are, not for some grand gesture.”

Dev felt a rush of emotion, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. She took a deep breath, summoning the courage she needed. With trembling fingers, she reached into her pocket and pulled out a small velvet box. Slowly, she dropped to one knee, her heart pounding with anticipation.

“Khalee,” Dev said, her voice breaking with emotion, “I’ve been dreaming of this moment for so long. I love you more than anything, and I can’t imagine spending my life with anyone else. Will you marry me?”

Khalee’s eyes widened in shock and her hands flew to her mouth. For a moment, she was speechless, her emotions swirling. Then, with a shaky breath, she reached into her own bag and pulled out a small box of her own. She knelt beside Dev, her eyes glistening with tears.

“Dev,” Khalee said, her voice trembling, “I was planning to propose to you, too. I didn’t want to wait any longer. Will you marry me?”

Dev stared at Khalee in astonishment. Then, overwhelmed with joy, laughter bubbled up between them. They both cried tears of happiness, embracing tightly.

As their laughter subsided, their eyes locked. Dev and Khalee leaned in, closing the gap between them. Their lips met in a deep, slow kiss. At first, it was gentle, a tender exploration of their feelings. But as their emotions took over, the kiss grew more intense. Dev’s hands cupped Khalee’s face, pulling her closer. Khalee’s fingers tangled in Dev’s hair, their bodies pressing together as if trying to merge into one.

The kiss was a dance of passion and relief, their breaths mingling, their hearts racing. Dev’s lips moved against Khalee’s with a blend of urgency and tenderness, while Khalee responded with equal fervor. Their kiss spoke of their love, their shared joy, and the overwhelming sense of being united.

As they finally pulled away, their foreheads rested against each other’s, their breaths coming in soft, quick bursts. They looked into each other’s eyes, smiling through their tears.

“I’ve never been happier,” Dev whispered, her voice filled with emotion. “I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you.”

Khalee squeezed Dev’s hand and replied, “Me too. You’ve made me the happiest person in the world. I love you so much.”

In that moment, the condo, which had felt so tense just moments before, was now filled with warmth and love. They knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, they would face them together, strengthened by their love and commitment.

🍓