Doubts and heart breaks

Maria and Jack were embraced into the warm and lively sailor's household, immediately feeling like they belonged

Maria and Jack were embraced into the warm and lively sailor's household, immediately feeling like they belonged. For four peaceful months, they became one with their newfound family, sharing hearty meals, joyous laughter, and endless tales with the sailors and his wife. The bond between them grew stronger each passing day, as if they were long lost friends finally reunited. However, their picturesque stay was abruptly disrupted when an unwanted presence from their past appeared during a leisurely trip to the bustling local market.

As the sun rose on a new day at the Alvarez family house, Jack and Maria had began to settle into a routine. Maria worked alongside Sierra, the kind middle-aged wife of the sailor who had rescued them from the secluded island. Together, they prepared a hearty breakfast while Jack assisted Mateo in cleaning his latest catch of fish. They would sell these at the market later to earn some much-needed money.

The night before, they had met a friend of the Alvarez family who had invited himself over for dinner upon hearing about and perhaps seeing Jack and Maria. He generously offered to help them with their fishing and selling ventures. He arrived early that morning, eager to get started. While he seemed friendly enough, Maria couldn't shake off the uneasy feeling she got from him. There was something about his constant smiles, yellowed teeth and crooked grin that made her skin crawl. She could tell that he saw something in her and she couldn't shake off the feeling that he had ulterior motives. Was it her body he desired or perhaps the information he learned from her past? Maria wasn't certain but there was no denying her gut instincts.

She brought up her suspicions to Jack, hoping he would understand and take her concerns seriously. But instead, he simply brushed it off as paranoia. It frustrated her beyond belief because she knew there was something off about this man and yet Jack seemed blind to it all. Perhaps it was her own fault for bringing up how she first met Jack and mentioning her father's name. But she couldn't help but feel wary around this man and wished Jack would take her warnings more seriously.

Truth was Jack also had his own suspicions towards the man and it didn't help that the man had so many questions about their childhood, most of his questions were about Maria which concerned him greatly. On multiple occasions he claimed that she looked familiar to him and he only couldn't place her. He knew although they had escaped Becket and the Spanish general, the dangers of this world were not behind them yet.

As the sun reached its peak in the sky, Jack and Mateo Alvarez gathered their supplies and set off for the bustling market. Before they left, Jack found Maria sitting on their small bed, her long dark hair cascading over her shoulders as she gazed out the window at the busy streets below. The warm sunlight streamed through the glass, casting a golden glow on her face. Jack's heart swelled with adoration for her and somehow Jack fell even more in love with her.

The gentle rustle of sheets accompanied Jack as he came to sit beside her. His body shifted on the bed, causing his arm to lightly brush against hers.

Maria's soft smile greeted him, but it seemed to waver, like a candle flickering in the wind. Jack's heart clenched with concern.