special chapter

• The Ending We Deserve

(BEOMGYU)

    I don’t know what just happened. But right now, the Huening Kai that was just lying lifelessly on the ground with the pool of blood is looking at me with a confused expression. A black cat with green and blue eyes is leaning against me, purring lowly, rubbing its head against my arm. 

   “Hyung, your hair,” Huening Kai suddenly reached out to caress my long hair, stroking it with a featherlight touch. What about my hair? All I know that it’s probably a mess.

   I let out a deep breath, and I actually don’t know if this is a dream I’m having, maybe I passed out; but I’m hit with a sense of relief to hear Huening Kai’s voice. I feel my eyes water again, pulling him into a tight hug, embracing him with warmth. “I missed you so much.”

   “I missed you..” I repeated, not in hopes for him to reply and say he misses me too, but it’s because I really did.

   I feel him wrap his arms around me, tightening the hug we’re melting into. But it doesn’t take a while until he finally pulls back, sweetly wiping my tears away. “I know, I know. But check this out, do not panic, you have white highlights.”

   Humming through the confusion, I actually don’t panic. “Are you saying my hair is finally turning white from age?” I reply instead.

   Huening Kai slaps his own forehead with his palm, “Ah, right.” I frown because he knows something that I don’t, about to rant about how we shouldn’t keep secrets from each other; subconsciously, and partially forgetting the situation we’re in; but then he grips onto my shoulders. I’m also certain he isn’t frustrated about my stupidity.

   “No, you’re still young. But what I meant is, you’re a provider, leading for your ability to physically resurrect dead bodies. I mean, not all, just ours.” He gestures over to himself and—

   “Wait!” I realize, my eyes widening as I process the newfound information. Holy shit, that means I can revive others. Yeonjun, Soobin and Taehyun. I have powers now. “Let’s go, let’s go, Kai! Come on!” I grab his extended hand, gently pulling him up. I drag him towards the exit of the rooftop, but then I notice the cat.

   I abruptly stop on my track, causing for Huening Kai to react late and stumble unto me, crashing us both onto the ground with a loud thud. Cowards. I let out a groan of pain, mixed with a laughter of amusement. The weight on my back is pushing me into the cement, but it’s funny how we fell like total idiots.

   The black cat eventually approaches us, like as if it knew what I wanted to do. I help Huening Kai get off me, pulling him up once again. But this time I don’t hold his hand, because I carry the cat with me. We both enter the elevator, pressing the button down to the ground level of the hospital building.

   I look at Kai, whose clothes are drenched in dry blood, and smile because I can save others now.

   Because we finally have the chance to get the ending we deserve.

   We both snap our heads up as the elevator doors ring, and run towards the exit immediately, dragging some attention of nurses onto us. Our pace is synchronized, even if Kai’s legs are longer than mine, and though I have a behaved cat in my arms.