nine

Curveball

(HUENING KAI)

   I saw Yeonjun having a hard time to breathe properly, glistening beads of sweat prickling down his forehead, his whole body stumbling. The pink haired boy’s lids looked heavy and he’s almost about to lose his consciousness. I heard the name that Leo had blurted out as Yeonjun was attacking him, and it made Yeonjun weak and vulnerable. Things aren’t going well, since when did they know about Jhae?

   I repeatedly used all of my powers, the enemy I was facing in an intense magical fight knocked out on the ground. I whip my head to see Soobin and Beomgyu hurriedly running towards Yeonjun, then I shift my orbs onto Taehyun that was busy fighting. I take in a deep breath, leisurely yet quickly using my time to use my power. My hand reach down inside my pocket and grab a certain coin, flipping it mid-air, “Head,” I quietly uttered.

   Perfect. I realize that just with this, I can locate the manipulator that has been constantly bothering situations, whose voice that was forcing itself inside Yeonjun’s mind. I turn to the side, “Connectionism.” I mumbled under my breath, my voice raspy.

   Taehyun, please keep them safe. I’ll have to defeat Yeonjun’s manipulator, they’re working with the Black Horns. I politely ordered and explained, but I couldn’t reveal any more informations as I was still currently analyzing all the complicated sequences, the complex circumstances that seemed to have gotten a dangerous step ahead of us.

   If I don't knock them soon, Yeonjun’s going to kill Soobin. I say certainly, and I don’t know how I got this absurd idea, but it just feels right. I’m not thinking, I’m feeling the sensation that I know this.

   Taehyun nodded as a signal for acknowledgement, still maintaining his concentration on fighting. It’s admirable, if I’m going to be honest. His concentration is essentially incredible for a protector, and if he were to practice more in the future, he might surpass my abilities and expertise.

   I quicken my pace of running towards the red line glowing radiantly in front of me, and reached the rooftop of a certain building. Somebody, a lady, with blonde hair was standing in front of me— her back facing me.

   “Are you one of The Manipulators?” I ask straightforwardly with a firm tone, determination and desperation to end everything at all cost lacing over my voice. My eyebrows are furrowing frustratedly, feeling my heart clenching deeply to know I’m actually going to kill somebody.

   It’s do or die.

   The woman turned around, and both of our stern gazes has met. A painful electrifying sparks coursed through my veins, my own eyes widening to brutally recognize who was in front of me. “Ah, my dear sibling?” She stared down at my soul emotionlessly, the small smirk tauntingly tugging to play on her lips.

   “Leah?” I managed to weakly mumble out, my voice trembling. I take a step back, but then my back met the cold railing. My chest is tightening, and it’s getting harder for me to breathe each passing second. No, please, not my side effects. Why are they kicking in now? “I thought you were dead?” Tears that felt as hot as strong flames started to gather around my eyes. I couldn’t believe it.. . after all these years?

   Leah shrugged, her swift movements were filled with precision and nonchalance. “Let’s simply say I smoothly fabricated my death, shall we?” She chuckled out, but not a single hint of happiness were behind her actions. Each of her slow moves were subtle and dull, yet firm and wise.

   Powerlessness overwhelm my body, my hands formed into pathetic balls of trembling fists. “Are you serious right now?” I began to rant about the disturbing whirlwind of warring emotions that was long-awaited to be let out. I swallowed hard, at least considering Leah’s suggestion.