Chapter 17

"Are you sure that he is going to like me?" Millicent's large questioning eyes looked up to Jace's blue-gray ones for a second before he refocused on driving to their intended location. Millicent sighed and then unable to help herself she asked, "What's he like?"

She saw Jace stretch his hand to pat her knee and he turned to offer her a reassuring smile.

"My dad is a great person, you'll see. He's just a little perceptive, so we'll need to be careful." He said in a light tone. And then muttered a bit condescendingly. "A great person until the past few months at least." His eyes narrowed with a dark fierce look.

"I'm sure we can keep up without messing with the dates." She spoke when he did not clarify the last words he spoke.

"Ha! You're the messy timekeeper. At least, we have a good idea about ourselves now." His deep voice chuckled to hear her groan. "You're going to like him and he you." With a rueful smile, he continued down the road.

The sun was high up by the time the two got to the Elrod residence - more of a grand mansion. Millicent looked around in awe. It was at the Airport Residential Area and all the homes that area a very lush landscape. It also bordered between chic apartments and townhouses, depicting the elite district. It was extravagant than her estate in East Legon mainly because she preferred to have a personalized home.

"Do you all enjoy..." Millicent waved her hand around the mansion they had parked in. Jace walked next to her and slipped his hand into hers. It felt natural to her especially after sleeping and waking up consciously in his arms. This morning, she did not escape before he woke up, so she shared the bliss of waking up with his awestruck gaze on her face.

"Growing up as part of the family of the biggest business magnates in the world who owns an international architectural company and is an architect himself, introduces you to a world of crazy wealth." Jace capriciously started walking towards the front of the house.

"What?" Millicent pulled on his hand, her hair floating back with the strange breeze that blew past them. Her yellow-patterned dashiki glinted in the sunlight that reflected the tall glass window above. Her glossy lips parted in anxiety.

"Who are you people?" Her voice rushed out in unease, looking back and forth between the house and Jace whose hand tightened on her own.

"Relax, little M. Trust me, everyone is going to like you." Millicent's eyes fluttered shut when his hand came up to trace her face and set her hair in order. He also rearranged the shirt-dress she wore, dusting it after he set it to his liking. He had been doing that since this morning - dressing her up and pampering her style- and his eyes shone with a deeper intensity whenever he did so.

"I'm right here." Millicent was lost in the colors of his prying eyes; his soft smile that he always had for her was in place while he continued to play with her hair. She nodded after seeing his unwavering, promising look. "Good, let's go."

Her steps matched Jace's as he opened the door for her and led her inside. There was no one in sight when the ultra-modern white interior of their home came into view. The colors of their home ranged from gold, white and silver. The silver couches were placed further from the 170-inch television which was displaying serene nature videos.

"Come. She must be in the kitchen." Jace directed her to their right where a dining space was visible an entryway that was connected to the kitchen. "Explosive food." He grumbled and Millicent just snickered in response.

Millicent was awestruck by the complete elegance of Josephine who stood with her back to them, stirring the content of a pot. She felt Jace slightly rub her hand before he dropped it and bounced toward his mom, wrapping his hand around her shoulders. The poor woman jumped in fright and almost sputtered the ladle of stew on his handsome face. He was so different from when they first met - his usual playfulness was not a charade anymore, but she could feel the warmth and love he had for those he regarded as close.