Chapter 31

Millicent gazed at him with conflicting emotions for a hard long minute, and being unable to hold herself she dropped down to a squat like him and cornered him so that he was almost backed under the table. His expectant disappointed look was in place as she leaned forward, traced her hand behind his head and smacked him, hard.

"Ouch?" Jace's eyes widened at the slap to his head, and he looked at his love in wonder. Her lips were in a neutral position and her eyes were filled with chagrin. He noticed a pair of feet in black flats, and he glanced around her to see a barista peering down at them in amusement.

"Oh, I'm sorry. We saw you guys under the table and wanted to check if you needed anything." Millicent, hearing the voice of the new person, swiftly scrambled backward barely missing the chair behind her and the woman stepped forward to support her. Millicent thanked her with a low voice and took her seat.

They watched Jace elegantly unfold himself from beneath the table and sat next to her. Millicent smiled at the barista and asked if she could get a chamomile tea.

"Sure. And don't worry, I'll bring it to you." She grimaced with a sheepish smile when she winked and walked away.

She heard Jace clear his throat, and his deep voice proceeded to ask, "So, why did you knock my head off?"

Her blazing eyes found his eyes with a grim face. "You think I agreed to marry you as a joke? That I think so lightly of our marriage that a stupid conspiracy will cause me to call it off?" His eyes gleamed at her statement. "I feel like slapping you. If I considered marriage so flippantly, I would have married anyone that came my way. I wouldn't have agreed to marry you if I was not certain."

"Little M-" Jace moved to grab her, but she raised her hand to stop him. The only person who had ever so abruptly halted him that did not move a bone of fury in him. So, he obediently settled back down.

"No, hold up! Are you thinking of divorcing me in the future? Oh, then let's stop this right now, mister. I'm not going to get my heart broken in the middle of a union. I'm not entertaining roadblocks after my life is enmeshed with yours."

"What? No, little M. Never." The fire in her eyes smoked out at his answer and she relaxed in her seat, smiling a little when she saw his lips curve.

"How many times did you break up with Gwen in your relationship? No questions, I'm curious." She added when he opened his mouth to speak something.

"Maybe every three months or so. Gwen is a difficult person as you have seen." She hummed.

"Well, I've told you this again and yet again - I'm not Gwen. I like to talk about things before I get to a conclusion. So, speak to me. Next time something like this happens don't assume I'm leaving you; just ask how I'm doing - that's enough for me." She said in her sweet melodic voice, encouraging him to understand how seriously she thought of him. His heart swelled as he leaned to pull her into a hug.

"I'm sorry little M. I'm supposed to be comforting you but I'm basking in yours." He pulled back, and his blue-gray eyes were filled with admiration for the woman who was understanding beyond his comprehension. A shadow was cast over them and the kind server had brought over her tea.

"Thank you!"

"You're welcome. That's on the house - your eyes share your love, and we wanted to honor that." Millicent gave a coy smile as she retreated.

"But where's your ring, little M?"

"That ring is so shiny that I'm scared of losing it, so I placed it here." She pulled out a necklace he had not seen her wear from under her dress and he saw her ring dangling off it. He released a breath and stretched out his hand to cup her cheek staring at her grinning face in wonder.