CHAPTER 4 - THE INITIATION

There was no way that could be my step-brother.

But what were the chances I'd encounter another guy named Atlas?

Before Atlas could reach the door, a new figure burst in, one hand clamped over his mouth and the other braced against the doorframe. He was undeniably striking, with chestnut-brown skin and hair and eyes a shade darker. His shoulder-length dreads were tied neatly at the top of his head, while the sides were shaved with elaborate line detailing. The only thing he shared with Atlas were those enormous, intimidating black wings.

"Oh shit. I just said your name. Do we have to kill her now, Atlas?"

My eyes widened in alarm.

Atlas turned to look at me, clear annoyance on his face, and then back at him. "You just said it again." His accent, reminiscent of his mother's sharp, refined tone, only heightened the intensity of his irritation.

The guy held both hands on his head in distress. "Oh fuck... Do we double-kill her now?"

My eyes darted between them, panic rising. "You're Atlas Blackwood?"

Fuck, I really didn't want to say that.

Atlas snapped his gaze at me. "What the fuck did you say?"

The other guy dropped to his knees, jaw dropping in awe. "Oh my god, she's a witch... We kidnapped a witch."

Atlas turned back to the guy and lightly smacked him on the back of his head. "Bastian, shut the fuck up for a second."

Before he could retort, a woman's voice echoed from down the hallway. "What the hell is going on here?"

Atlas dragged a hand down his face, exhaling loudly in frustration as he rolled his eyes. He turned away from the door and walked to the opposite side of the room.

The most beautiful woman I had ever seen approached from behind Bastian. Her lively, long blonde hair bounced with each step, and her fair, flawless skin seemed to illuminate the dark room. Her crystal-clear blue eyes were breathtaking, creating an almost surreal contrast to her identical feathered black wings.

She shoved Bastian aside as she entered the room. Her eyes locked onto mine, first widening in shock, then narrowing in disgust. "Who the fuck is this?"

Atlas turned to face her, irritation clear on his face. "Lyra... not now, especially not fucking now."

Lyra approached Atlas and tried to wrap her arms around him, but he sidestepped her embrace, putting an arm's length of distance between them.

She crossed her arms and pouted. "Babe, stop being so hostile."

Atlas rolled his neck and turned his gaze away from her. "Don't call me babe."

Lyra clicked her tongue, her eyes still fixed on him. "You used to love that."

"Used to."

She rolled her eyes and shifted her attention back to me. "Back to this... mess. Who is this bitch?"

Atlas remained silent, practically treating her like a ghost. Lyra narrowed her eyes at him before snapping her gaze to Bastian, whose eyes were now wide open.

She strode over to him, grabbing him by the collar of his sweater and lifting him slightly off the ground. "Answer me, now!"

Bastian crumbled instantly under the pressure. "We need her for the fallen angel initiation... Please, don't hit me again."

What on earth is a fallen angel initiation?

I cleared my parched throat, drawing every eye in the room to me. "Can someone please explain what the hell is going on—"