CHAPTER 2 - THE ESTATE

Sylus insisted on driving me to the "estate," probably out of sheer nosiness.

"I wonder what your new place looks like," he mused aloud, earning an irritated glance from me.

Busybody.

I rolled my eyes and turned to gaze out the passenger side window, ignoring his probing. Sylus, undeterred, let out a deep chuckle. "Don't look at me like that... Unless you want me to jump you."

I kept my gaze fixed outside. "Try me, I can take you."

His right hand squeezed my thigh, keeping his left on the steering wheel. "You wanna bet, Indy?"

Finally turning back to him, I swatted his hand away. "Pay attention to the road, you shameless flirt."

He shot me a grin, mischief dancing in his eyes, before refocusing on the mist-covered, narrow road ahead.

Sylus had a knack for flirting with anything that moved. It didn't matter where we went; he attracted glances from all directions. I couldn't help but wonder what people thought of us together—me, and him, effortlessly charismatic.

"Where the fuck is this place?" he muttered, the misty surroundings and towering trees giving an eerie vibe to the drive.

Sylus snapped me back to reality. "Maybe we'll inspire Stephen King's next book," I added dryly, trying to lighten the tension.

He gasped theatrically. "Do you think your dad's new wife is a demon trying to possess us?"

I smacked his arm playfully. "Don't joke about that!"

He chuckled. "Relax, your knight in shining armor is here to protect you."

My eyes rolled so hard, I was afraid they'd stick that way.

As the car came to a slow stop, my attention was drawn to a massive black gate flanked by stone pillars topped with ominous gargoyles. Spikes lined the top row of the gate, with intricate paisley designs between the bars.

I was staring wide-eyed at the gate, Sylus quipped, "Starting to believe your Stephen King theory?"

Ignoring his response, I got out of the car and approached the gate. I pushed against it, but it refused to budge.

"Try harder!" Sylus leaned out the window, teasing.

I shot him a glare before attempting again, only to have the gate swing open unexpectedly.

"I told you," he called out with a smirk.

I was in such disbelief that I couldn't muster a response to him.

Sylus' arm draped lazily outside the drivers window, fingers tapping against the car door. "So, are you getting back in, or do I have to continue staring at your backside? Not that I'm complaining."

I rolled my eyes and got into the car, lightly smacking him on the arm.

He chuckled. "I guess I deserved that."

We continued along the cobblestone path, surrounded by shrubs and dark flowers. Ahead, we saw the estate—a large structure with tall spires and turrets, its slate roofs adorned with wrought-iron decorations.

Parking in what seemed more like a football field than a driveway, Sylus and I got out to take in the grandeur of my new home. I craned my neck trying to see it all.

Behind me, I heard a clatter. Turning, I found Sylus retrieving one of my fallen boxes from his trunk.

"You're lucky my dad moved all my books already," I remarked with a hint of amusement.