43. Im not sick

I had just got back from shopping with my mum and sister and I decided to drive to Katie's house before I went home. I hadn't heard from her all day and I wanted to check if she was okay.

I knocked on her front door, waiting for what felt like ages for her to open it. When she appeared in the doorway, it looked as though she had just woken up from a nap and her face was pale. She did not look well.

"Sorry did I wake you up?" I asked as she gestured for me to come inside.

"Yeah, I must've fallen asleep earlier" she told me her voice hoarse, as she let out a cough

"Are you sick katie, you don't look or sound great?" I asked, watching her flop back onto the sofa and wrap a blanket around herself

"No I'm not sick, just a little cough" she insisted.

I didn't believe her, she never napped so it was obvious she wasn't feeling good. She looked completely exhausted too, as she sat on the sofa she could barley keep her eyes open.

It didn't take long for her to fall asleep. I looked around her house, there was a few dishes littered around and it was a bit messy which was unusual for Katie, she normally kept her house spotless.

As she slept I decided to tidy up and make some soup for her to eat after she woke up.

Just as the soup was ready, Katie woke up letting out a loud groan followed by a chesty cough.

I made my way back into the living room and sat down next to her on the couch.

"I made some soup and tidied up a bit" I told her with a soft smile

"You didn't have to, I could've done that myself. Thank you though" she said, her tone thankful.

"Katie you can barley keep yourself upright, you're sick. just admit it" I said amused at her denial.

"I'm fine" she said, sighing.

I got up and waited for her to follow, I wanted her to eat the soup I had made hoping it would make her feel better. As she stood up she stumbled forward a bit and I saw all the colour drain from her face

"I'm about to pass out" she let out quietly, as her hand went to her head
I quickly rushed to her side, helping her sit down again and going to grab her some water

"Drink this" I told her handing her the cold bottle which she eagerly drank

"Thanks" she said between breaths

"Stay here and I'll get you some soup, okay" I told her, getting a small nod in return

We both had a bowl of soup and I could see some life come back into Katie's cheeks. After clearing the dirty bowls away I sat down again. I rested my feet on the coffee table in front of me and Katie placed her head in my lap as I gently ran my fingers through her hair.

"I'll stay tonight, i don't want you to be alone while you're sick. We can go to the doctor in the morning" I told her as my fingers continued to run through the ends of her hair

I got a grunt in response, she had already began to fall asleep again. Leaning over her I grabbed the remote and turned on the tv, having a feeling I would be stuck in this position until she woke up again. I gently put the blanket over her sleeping body again when she began to shiver.

For the rest of the night, she drifted in and out of sleep, this sickness was obviously taking a lot out of her. I booked her a doctors appointment for the morning, hoping she would start to feel better and getting some medication would help with that.