Entry 23: Call me Yoko Ono

Because I think I broke up the band. Eyesore Lenore is hardly The Beatles but still...

When I went to The Basement tonight, I was shocked  by how packed it was. It was practically wall to wall. Honestly, I thought it would be empty with all of the college students going home for the holiday but I didn't anticipate the return of all of the other out of town college students coming home.

I got through the front door with ease, avoiding the security guard that caught me my first night there. I squeezed through the crowd and worked my way to the front of the stage. I wanted Preston to be able to see me.

Because I knew what we were going to be discussing after his gig, I went for a more mature outfit. A tight, black, asymmetrical mini dress and a pair of strappy heals. To combat the cool autumn air, I had on a matching black faux leather jacket. It was definitely more Preston's style than mine but I wanted him to see me in a sophisticated light.

The band was tuning their instruments when I caught Preston's eye. I gave him a small wave and he smiled back. The smile I was sporting immediately dropped from my face when I spotted Miranda off to the side of the stage.

Of course she was there.

I made a note to converse with her later and work in the topic of my cute little key chain that Preston bought me.

I sat at a high top table alone but was offered alcohol by a couple of people. I declined politely because if Preston and I were going to be talking about the next step in our relationship, I needed to be clear minded. No matter how tempted I was to throw back a couple shots...

The band played a couple of their usual songs. Preston, of course, vocalized with the voice of a God and sang his solos flawlessly. Anytime he sings, my heart skips a beat. He could literally be famous. After finding out what his band did to him with the Miranda/Lincoln situation, I totally support the idea of my boyfriend going solo.

Just as that thought was conjured, Preston took center stage.

"Alright everyone," he spoke into the mic. "Now we're gonna play a new song that I wrote for someone very special to me."

The moment the words left his lips, I knew he was talking about me. My nerves became totally shot as it washed over me that Preston actually wrote a song for me!

ME!

Nobodies ever written me so much as a love note so an entire song dedicated to me was setting the bar pretty high. I waited, my breath bated, as Preston began to play his guitar. The rest of the band joined in as he began to sing totally and completely solo:

She looks good in pink
Prettier in white
Even better in those fuzzy bunny slippers
She only busts out at night

Like a walk in the park
Lights out after dark
I can't believe I just let that preppy girl
Leave her mark

You know what I mean
Cheer skirt is obscene
I'm glad she can't tell what I'm thinking
My thoughts around her are never clean

Like a sign from above
A little white dove
Nothing beats a walk in the park
With the girl that I love

I remember a lot of the lyrics for the most part but don't quote me directly. The song was very upbeat and in the band's usual punk rock/ punk pop style. I'm glad it wasn't one of his melancholy melodies that he so often wrote. Maybe that means I bring out a brightness in him. I've heard the songs he's written about Miranda and they're depressing as fuck.