12: In the Shadows (Part 1)

"So you wish to see if there are... guilds or 'help boards' around here? I must say, this is an odd way of doing things. You do know that the Young Master can arrange a meeting with whomever you desire."

"Well... isn't it better if I gradually made my way to the top? You do know that I am a nobody."

"I agree there, I suppose."

Carol is serving Avril her usual breakfast, it was a tiny bit more quieter since Reinhard isn't here, due to him being called to deal with matters relating to the Witch Cult or the Royal Selection.

As for today, the black-haired girl plans to go out and be a freelancer, doing all sorts of jobs. And by all, that means she plans to do whatever it could be, even some consultation (she wouldn't do anything illegal of course).

Avril felt rather excited to do this, this was what she was doing back then when she first started helping people. It may not be the absolute best way to help others, but it was something fun and not so hard to do. And even if it is menial work, such as cleaning, washing, labor, and more, it was still helping people. It also provided a window to potentially help the person out more.

"I plan on going to the slums later, but just at the front. We aren't going to go to Felt's place."

"Oh, so you won't be there?"

"That sounds like I can go there alone."

"I must insist that I go with you."

"Urk... okay then."

The duo then departed after breakfast, they then made their way around the Third District. Avril checked what kind of guilds that did exist, somewhat to her surprise, there was no Adventurer's Guild (but then again, that also didn't really exist in Nexus. It was just popular in some fantasy stories in Parise)

The guilds that did exist were the Merchant's Guild and the Mercenary's Guild. Avril senses that she can get some odd jobs around this area that involve going around the kingdom and to better spread her name. And since there weren't any help boards stationed, Avril will do it in the manual way of searching people who are hiring people, for temporary work that is.

Carol glanced a worried look when she notices Avril examining the Mercenary's Guild. "Avril-sama... you surely aren't thinking of actually doing mercenary work to spread your fame... are you?"

"I am seeking for small or odd jobs first you know. But I won't deny that I wouldn't mind doing mercenary work at all. Though I am not the type to accept shady jobs, I'll probably do escorts and such."

"Avril-sama..."

Hearing her sigh, Avril replied, "Se-Seriously...? You're gonna still follow me?"

"You must know that mercenary work is dangerous. You may be powerful, but you could still be at risk. And for us servants, it will be a grave sin for us to get you badly hurt."

She had a sheepish smile, "Aw, geez..."

They went through the Fourth District, and fortunately, Avril did find a board there containing a lot of wanted help posters. She did see a bunch of those in the buildings of the Third District. But in the Fourth District, there seemed to be a dedicated board for assistance.

"Yes~ there is one!" Avril's eyes quickly zoomed throughout the board, and she does see that she can practically do all the jobs posted there. "And almost all of the jobs here will still last for a week or so~ Good thing I don't need to rush."

"I believe I can help you with whatever job you decide to pick, Avril-sama."

"There's no need for that? Though it would definitely depend on how many people the paper wants."