DEAD BOY WALKING

I sit in silence, focused on my worksheet until I finally raise my hand

I sit in silence, focused on my worksheet until I finally raise my hand. Mr. Matthews approaches, and I hand him my completed worksheet. "Is there anything else I need to do?" I inquire.

"No, that's the final task for today. You're free to go if you wish; there are thirty minutes remaining," he replies.

"Great, thank you, sir," I express with a smile as I neatly pack up my bag.

I walk out of class, everyone's eyes on me as I make my way to the toilets, praying I won't explode before reaching them. Entering a cubicle, I do my business and wash my hands.

Passing by the boys' changing rooms, a familiar voice greets me, "Hello Bridget."

"Hi Ronan," I respond, eager to escape the encounter.

He looks me up and down then unsettlingly remarks, "Oh, I'm so jealous of Johnny."

My face twists in disgust as I try to leave, but then I sense footsteps approaching from behind, and he grabs my elbow.

"Let go, Ronan! You... pervert!" I exclaim, pulling away from his grasp.

All of a sudden, Ronan is stumbling backward as none other than Gerard Gibson yanks his jersey collar.

"You're feeling suicidal today, huh," Gerard remarks.

"I swear, I wasn't doing anything!" Ronan protests as Gibbsie chuckles.

"When Kav hears about this, you're in trouble," Gibbsie warns.

Shortly after, I spot Hughie approaching, observing the situation before quickly heading back, presumably to fetch said Giant.

"I swear! She came to me," Ronan insists, attempting to break free from Gibbsie's hold.

"You're lying! I just came back from the loo!" I say, frustrated.

As I voice my disbelief, Hughie and Johnny appear, Johnny's expression seething with anger.

I lock eyes with him, "Don't you dare bulldoze," I warn firmly.

"I'll give you five seconds to leg it," Johnny declares, brushing off my words.

Stepping back, Hughie joins my side, prompting Gibbsie to release Ronan's jersey.

"What are you waiting for, Cap," both boys chime in unison, urging Johnny to chase after Ronan.

"Jesus Christ," I mutter, rubbing my eyes wearily.

"Go sit down Bridge, I'll meet you in the cafeteria," Hughie says as him and Gibsie head into the changing room.

I make my way to the cafeteria, grab my food, and settle down. Suddenly, a familiar blonde approaches me.

"Lizzie, finally gracing us with her presence?" I tease.

"Yeah, unfortunately," she sighs, rolling her eyes. "What's Johnny up to, chasing Ronan around like that?" she questions.

"It's a long story, let's just say Ronan's feeling suicidal," I reply with a laugh, both of us eagerly awaiting the arrival of our other friends.

One minute, I'm walking to the changing rooms, the next I'm chasing Ronan 'round the school.

"Leave me alone, Johnny!" Ronan says, attempting to open the double doors, Patrick standing on the other side holding them shut, laughing.

"Did you leave Bridget alone when she asked you to?" I say.

I grab him by his jersey, pulling him back.

"If you ever, and I mean ever, lay a finger on Bridget, come close to her, or even breathe near her, you'll be done. Got it?" I shout.

"Ye-Yes! Just go away!" Ronan says as I release him.

"Now fuck off!" I say as he runs away.

I walk into school, heading straight to the changing rooms, Patrick following suit.

We shower, get changed, and make small talk, just as the bell for break rings.

The lads and I make our way to our usual table, Bridget's laughter filling my ears instantly. She looks up from chatting with Claire, meets my gaze, and smiles. I walk over, kiss her forehead, and sit down.

"You calmed down now, Giant?" she asks, laughing.

I playfully roll my eyes, pulling a granola bar from my bag.

Bridget suddenly turns her head at the sound of plates being set out.

"Oh my lord!" she exclaims, and I turn around.

Before I can even think, Bridget goes to get yet another toasted bagel. She pays and waddles back, everyone at the table chuckling.

"What?" she shrugs as she sits down.

"That's your third in the past twenty minutes, Bridge!" Claire exclaims.

"I'm feeding two mouths, remember?" she says, stuffing her mouth.

Bridget turns to me, saying, "I've got a bone to pick with you, Mr. Giant."

I smile, "What's up?"

"You need to be more careful! You're only just allowed back to training," she playfully shoves my shoulder.

"I am, don't worry about me," I say chuckling.

"I have a question," I say suddenly feeling anxious.

"Ask away," she says, encouragingly.

"When's your next appointment with the midwife?" I ask.

"Uh... Monday, November thirty-first at noon," she says, pausing to think.

"Can I, uh, can I come?" I ask nervously.

She looks at me, guilt flickering in her eyes.

"Yeah... sorry you've missed the oth—" she begins, but I cut in.

"No, don't apologize, it's alright, we've talked about this," I say, leaning in to give her a kiss.

"I can't help it, sorry," she says softly.

"What lesson's up next?" I ask as the bell chimes.

"Science," she says, rolling her eyes.

"I'll walk you over—" I start, but Hughie cuts in.

"It's cool, cap. I've got a free period, so I'll take her," he says confidently.

"If that's what you want," Bridget smiles and gives me a hug.

"See you, Giant," she says, giggling.

"I love you, Birdie," I say, smiling at her.

She pauses for a moment before turning around, "I love you too, Magic Hands," she laughs as she and Hughie walk away.