Chapter 17

Li Jun POV

Entering the luxurious penthouse in Italy that had once been my sanctuary, I was engulfed by a profound sense of emptiness. The vast expanse of the empty rooms echoed with the hollow ache of my loneliness, a stark reminder of the chasm that had grown between me and those I held dear. But amidst the silence, there was a glimmer of clarity—a flicker of resolve burning bright amidst the darkness of my despair. Feeling lonely, I called Jia. Though she's ratty and clingy, I needed company—someone who could just be there. I dialed her number."Junnie bae, are you alright? Where are you?" Jia's voice chirped through the phone."I'm in Italy," I replied, trying to mask my irritation with her incessant pet names. "Come over if you want."Within hours, Jia was in my penthouse, filling the silence with her high-pitched chatter. As she flitted around the room, I turned on the television, hoping to catch some news and drown out her voice. But what I saw on the screen made my heart stop.There, broadcast live from the palace, was Elaine. She looked stunning in a purple gown, her presence commanding the room. My breath hitched as I watched her interact gracefully with various dignitaries. And then, there was Liam, standing too close to her, his gaze lingering on her with an intensity that made my blood boil."Jun, are you even listening to me?" Jia's voice cut through my thoughts, and I realized she had been talking this whole time."Yeah, yeah," I muttered, my eyes glued to the screen."Why are you watching this?" Jia pouted, trying to snuggle closer to me."Just drop it, Jia," I snapped, pushing her away gently but firmly."What's so special about her?" Jia whined, jealousy evident in her tone. "You never look at me like that.""Because you're not her," I said bluntly, immediately regretting my harshness. But it was the truth. Elaine was special, and seeing her again, even through a screen, reminded me of everything I had lost and everything I still wanted.Jia huffed and retreated to the kitchen, sulking. I didn't care. My focus was solely on Elaine and the banquet. I watched as she was called to perform, her voice filling the hall with a haunting beauty. Liam was beside her again, and my fists clenched in jealousy.The Queen raised her glass for a toast, her words echoing through the hall and into my living room. "To Elaine, and to all of you who make our world brighter. Cheers!"Elaine's smile lit up the screen, and my heart ached with a mixture of longing and jealousy. As the banquet continued, I knew I couldn't stay away forever. Sooner or later, I would have to confront my past and Elaine, whether I was ready or not.For now, all I could do was watch and simmer in my conflicted emotions, wondering what the future held for us both.